Bringing my dog's ashes home

First, thanks to everyone who already chipped in. I love you all.

Second, feel a little stupid doing this, but I have no pride left, and there’s a slight urgency since the vet texted that my dog’s ashes are ready to be picked up.

A few people have already been so generous, and I don’t need much, just about $400 to pay for my dog’s cremation so I can get the ashes back. I’m using the old GoFundMe from when I needed the CGM. If anyone prefers, I will send my email address, and you can use PayPal.

Thanks so much.

Editing (by Puzzlegal) to say that the mods approved this request, but also asked that the following text be included:

A reminder to all, that permission to advertise a GoFundMe or similar crowdfunding on the SDMB is the exception, not the rule. As always, we do not give permission lightly, and want all to understand it’s not something one should depend on. In this case, the poster has had an ongoing financial crisis, so we’ve allowed overlap between the individual spikes.

Each case is handled by the modloop as a whole, so responses can take time, which is never a reflection on the worthiness of the poster or their requests. This is another reason why posters should not depend upon the option or process.

We have not and are not putting in any hard rules at this time because each emergency is different. But we do want all to be careful with such requests - just as in the real world, it is not only hard to ask for help, but it is stressful to see the request and not feel able to help.

I missed the first go-round, so I just chipped some in.

I know how hard it is to lose a companion animal. I remember some of my dogs more fondly than some relatives. Hope you’re doing better.

Thanks so much!

Guys, I’m really desperate, and have no pride. I’m still about $100 short. If anyone can give even $5 or 10, it would add up.

And sincere thanks to everyone who has donated so far.

Also, if anyone wants me to PM my PayPal email, I’ll get those donations faster.

I pitched in a bit. I hope you can get your dog’s ashes home.

What’s the current status?

All good. Thanks to everyone!

The cremation is covered, and I can cover the cost of the euthanasia, so I can pay the whole amount due. I have a short break from work tomorrow from 3-4p, and I’m going to try to go over there then.

Glad to hear it. We said goodbye to my daughter’s companion of almost seventeen years three weeks ago, and the thought of not getting his ashes back … well, it’s not to be borne.

May peace be upon both of you.

Thank you.

Very sorry about your daughter’s dog. :cry:

That’s a long time with a dog, and a blessing. I didn’t have Evie that long, because she was a rescue, and I missed her first 2.5 years, when I suspect she wasn’t treated well.

But, something I didn’t find out until after I’d signed the adoption papers-- I’d rescued her from being put down the next day. She’ already timed out at the shelter, but since they had the room, they kept her because of the adoption even at the fairgrounds coming up (where I got her). If she weren’t adopted there, though, that was it for her.

Also, a caveat that probably no one here needs, but some people don’t think to pass on-- I pass on all the time after Evie.

Don’t EVER give a live animal as a surprise gift. No matter how much the recipient may have expressed wanting one. Especially do not give one to a child without checking with the parents.

Evie’s birthday on her shelter paperwork was 12-25. I’ve a feeling that isn’t her actual birthday-- that was they day her original owners acquired her as a gift, and she didn’t work out.

She was an extremely energetic dog, right up to the end-- and when she was 7, she still went to her daycare where the next oldest dog was 4, and she kept up with the other dogs just fine.

Someone with no experience training a dog and no access to a good trainer wouldn’t have been able to handle her. She came to me un-housebroken (at 2 &1/2) an knowing NO commands. I housebroke her in 2 days and taught her “sit” & “come” right away. Eventually, she knew about 20 commands, 6 “automatic” behaviors (like sitting when I stopped at a curb), and probably 60 words altogether-- “treat,” “bath,” “spit” (to drop something she picked up on a walk-- she knew “drop” to put down a toy), “park,” “car,” things like that.

Before me, someone else had tried to adopt her, but had returned her.

She was anxious and depressed when I got her, and the vet put her on Prozac and trazadone.

We worked through it, though, and she quickly became my best friend.

Again, pretty sure I’m preaching to the choir, and I know that, but maybe you don’t bother to pass it on, or intervene when you know someone contemplating a gift animal with no back-up plan (someone else who would be happy to take the pet if the gift doesn’t work out).

Please, no matter how dense or stubborn someone is, try to plant a seed of doubt about live-animal gifts-- or at least, when it’s for a child, one to check with the parents.

I think Evie suffered a lot because someone just didn’t think something through.

Sorry for the rant-- it’s a thing for me.