British Cyclists

I am neither a motorist or a cyclist, and God knows I could have a good ol’ rant about the wrongs of motorists everywhere, but this thread was about cyclists. As to the ratio, well, I’ve not gone out and done a survey, but I walk to work every morning through a busy part of London and I’ve yet to see a cyclist using the road responsibly.

I agree absolutely that they’re helping to prevent the creation of an even-more polluted environment, and if they all followed the Highway Code, I’d be right there cheering them on. But most of them don’t. Most of them are inconsiderate and downright dangerous.

Btw, in London (I can’t speak for Britain on the whole), most of the cyclists on the roads are adult, not kids. Yer average London mum isn’t going to yet her one extremely small child out of her air-conditioned 4x4 for even a moment, yet alone send them off on a bike onto roads where the only rule that applies is “Squish or be squished”!

They’re just as bad as the London ones.

As has been pointed out already, if you’re on the road then you obey the rules of the road. Sadly the majority of cyclists on my walks to work both in London and NYC seem not to realise that.

Cyclists are exposed to more abuse than just about any other road user except the elderly and partially disabled road crosser.

You might say some deserve it, but, the overwhelming majority of collisions between cyclists and motorised vehicles are the fault of the vehicle driver.

There are loads of numbers on this, look around.

Drivers, or at least a significant number, run their schedules so tight that almost any hold up, from a milk float to a set of lights on red, is enough to put them out.
Who gets the stick though, is it the slow wagon struggling up the hill, nah, he’s too big for you to try swerve into the gutter, is it the JCB, nah, same again and you won’t even scratch the paint, is it the horse, sometimes yes - but you worry as you twat your arseholemobile past with your horn blazing that the animal may do something unpredictable and damage your shiny shitwagon.

Ah, but cyclists, they slow you down also, but they can’t hit you back, they can’t catch you if you act like a total and utter cunt, so you force them into the gutter, rev your engine whilst following, cut them up when you are turning, ah what the hell, they are not in the same hurry as you, fuck 'em.

Basically fucking car drivers such as these are simply the stereotypical bullies, take on someone who they percieve as vulnerable, and leave the big machinery alone.

You can rant on about the antics of a minority of cyclists, and I’ll find a hundred things that the minority of motorists do, and I’ll label all motorists the same.
I’ve seen the comments stating “Oh, I really meant to say things about those naughty minority of nasty cyclists” but fuck you with a Saguaro cactus, a big old centurian, because it’s clear to me that you posted without regard to most of us being perfectly law abiding, and now it’s justifications after the event.

What you may not notice is that cyclists are people, and some are dicks, but, the majority are not.

What you are talking about are the ones who you see in towns and cities, perhaps going to work, whatever, and absolutely every single time you ride a bicycle in such an environment, some, nay many, fuking arsehole shithead wanking car driver, usually on their mobile phone, will cut you up, overtake and brake hard in front of you, try to simply shove you off the road, throw shite out of their windows, honk their horns when there is nowhere for the cyclist to go to get out of the way, or fail to understand that it takes loner for a cyclist to get through a junction than a car, especialy against the wind, and that is why the Amber on traffic lights means stop, not fucking go, you blasted idiots.

Its called due consideration, and once a cyclist has been shown very little of it, than you wouldn’t be surprised to find the cyclist in turn shows little of the same stuff when the twat head car driver gets out of his mobile loan payment vehicle and becomes a self righteous pedestrian.

The cyclist gets this hassle every day, many times every journey, but the roads are not yours, nor are they mine, we share them, and that means cooperation.

If the car driver were more patient, they would still get to their destination on time, but with a lower blood pressure.

Fuck me, I’ve come across car drivers who pulled out in fornt of 48 ton artics and in the ensuing discussion with the nice policeperson, claimed they never saw the wagon coming!

Car drivers get defensive in their shiny shitmobiles, they treat them as part of their empire, a castle that must be defended against any imagined slights, they think that everyone around them is interested in what they drive and the image that their vehicle conveys, its this little Napoleon attitude that car drivers have that causes them to be such cunts.

It’s the “most” in this sentence that seems immoderate and inaccurate. The point I was trying to make in mentioning cyclist’s views of motorists is that it’s very easy to bond with fellow (walkers / SDMB members / motorists) subgroups by stigmatising some other identifiable group.

Trunk and Casdave said it more clearly than I can, but statistically and empirically this demonising of “most” cyclists is evident bollocks.

Driving to school this morning I turned a corner to find a cyclist going the wrong way, in the middle of my freaking lane! Oh, sorry, didn’t realize you and your little bike own the whole fucking road. Let me just get out of your way.

Don’t even get me started on the motherfuckers who weave in and out of pedestrians on the sidewalk.

There are a lot of inconsiderate cyclists out there … most of them? Quite possibly! I certainly never expect a cyclist to give a hand signal while turning, or to stop - or even slow down - at a pedestrian crossing; this is not prejudice against cyclists, this is the voice of bitter experience.

And, for the record, I am not, and never have been, a car driver … but, even if I were, and even if I drove in a dangerous and inconsiderate manner, this would not excuse one single cyclist from breaking the rules of the road …

Self-evidently true but totally irrelevant. The question really is what proportion of cyclists need to misbehave as you describe before it is an attribute of “cyclists” rather than “a minority of people”. As a driver, pedestrian and cyclist, the vast majority of cyclists that I know are courteous and careful road and pavement users. As are motorists, motorcyclists and lorry drivers.

Every road using group that I can imagine curses the other group. HGV drivers curse motorists, motorists curse pedestrians (especially in Oxford, where everyone knows that pedestrians walk around as if they OWN the streets), pedestrians curse cyclists. And so on. It’s still bollocks - you’re jsut in the time-honoured tradition of persecuting the “others”.

::sigh:: all those years (9) in Oxford and you clearly never saw me on my bicycle, law-abiding, considerate cyclist that I was. :slight_smile:

Am I being whooshed, or are you honestly trying to cast this in terms of some post structuralist gloss of competing naratives?

Damn, how I wish I was sophisticated enought even to think like that before posting! Sadly, I am a reliably whoosh-free zone due to lack of quick-wittedness. :confused:

No, it just honestly doesn’t add up to me. I’m a road user too (like the other posters who criticise cyclists), but I just don’t recognise the picture that they paint. I honestly don’t: I encounter dozens of perfectly reasonable cyclists every day, and the occasional nutter.

So why do people notice, amplify and recycle (!) these anecdotes as evidence of a deficiency in the class of cyclists?

Are you really that stupid?

I’m not pitting every fucking cyclist, you daffy shit. I didn’t even start the fucking thread. What I am posting about is stupid fucking cyclists who think that they own the road and that the rules just don’t apply to them. That seems to be what everyone else in the thread is pissed about as well. It’s rude, inconsiderate behavior.

So far as I know, nobody here is grabbing the big brush and trying to apply the bitching to all cyclists. Maybe you need to turn your sensitivity down a notch.

And by the way oh great god and judge of what is appropriate to the pit, I’m sorry that we didn’t e-mail you to see if what was pissing us off was okay by you. Next time we’ll be sure to keep you in the loop.

Garbage. Motorists (mostly) stop at red lights and pedestrian crossings; cyclists (mostly) do not. Cyclists routinely mount the pavement (the sidewalk, to Americans), even though it’s illegal; motorists do not. (Usually … we did have one round here who was in the habit of doing so; I took down her number and reported her to the police.) This is not prejudice, this is simple observation. If cyclists want to lose their reputation for inconsiderate behaviour, as far as I’m concerned, the best way for them to do it is to stop acting inconsiderately. But they do act inconsiderately, and I can see them doing it, every time I walk down the bloody street. So don’t piss on my shoes and tell me it’s raining, pal.

Errm - well, I suppose “the British cyclist” seemed a fairly broad brush to me, I have to say! So, let me preempt Trunk by admitting to being EXACTLY that stupid! It DOES honestly seem to me that the encounters described are presumed to typify the group by most of the posters in the thread. Sorry if that’s a misunderstanding.

It’s definitely raining on your shoes.

I observe many motorists that use the pavement as a parking place, I …

I can’t be bothered to repudiate this drivel in detail.

The fact is that I DO NOT see the many cyclists that I encounter “routinely” behaving in this way. I suppose I may be lucky. pal.

Either lucky, or spectacularly unobservant …

Let me tell you something. When I moved to Oxford, and started having to leap clear of rogue cyclists every time I went out to the corner shop, I decided to keep a little count of something. I would keep a count of how many cyclists I saw signalling a turn - you know, just sticking out their hands to show which direction they meant to go in. I decided I wasn’t going to be obsessive about it, I’d just see how long it took me, before I saw fifty cyclists make proper hand signals. After all, you will see more than fifty cyclists on the streets of Oxford in a couple of hours …

Do you want to know how long it took, before the count reached fifty? Three and a half years, that’s how long it took. Granted, it’s not scientific - for all I know, every last one of them was making appropriate signals as soon as my eyes were off them - but, as far as I’m concerned, it’s a very clear indicator that, yes indeed, a majority of cyclists don’t obey the rules of the road.

And I am more inclined to believe the evidence of my own eyes, than any politically-correct blether about “persecuting the ‘others’”.

Nope, routinely ignoring traffic lights, riding of the pavement, they just don’t work at all well for cyclists in Leeds, you would have to possess a death wish to behave in the manner described by cyclist bashers.

Taking your hands off the bars to indicate left and right, not a great idea in Leeds moring and afternoon rush hour traffic.

How many well designed cycle lanes do you see in the UK, the ones that mix motor traffic and cyclists, none, because all the fucking planners are wanking motorists (perhaps they should get back to designing abbatoirs){obligatory Monty Python referance}.

What the hell is the use of a cycle lane that punts you out into traffic at every junction, or crosses over pedestrian walkways.

The cycle lanes are only there to enable the local council to get a grant so they can pay their coucillors attendance money, 'cause it doesn’t get spent on the roads or cycle lanes that’s for sure.

Why do cyclists resort to doing the things of they are accused?

Go to Holland and see why, cyclists, pedestrians and motorists get on well, the public transport works, using cars for most 3 mile and under journeys is pointless, in fact, owning cars full time can be pointless, so there are Dutch folk who hire cars just for the weekend, or to go on holiday.

I’ll bet no-one here has ever seen any form of motor vehicle parked on one of the pitifully few cycle lanes in the city, well fucking bollocks, 'cause we all know what really happens…and delivery drivers never ever park on cycle lanes or footpaths, so maybe we can say all delivery drivers, well 9 out of 10 perhaps, are inconsiderate.

How about the fact that cycle lanes are either full of glass, or full of potholes, or sunken grates, cycle lanes tend to be made up of just about the worst section of road surface available.

Have you noticed that car drivers are congenitally incapable of walking one millimetre further than they absolutely must, resulting in double and triple parking, parking on footpaths, on corners, right in front of you when you are just walking past. They cannot and absolutely must not park, oh, twenty yards aways from the fucking shithole cigs and paper shops can they?

9 out of 10 of the arsehole drivers do it, I think so therefore it must be true that 9 out of 10 drivers are arseholes.

I suggest the OP or any of you idiot cycle bashers actually take a ride in a city on a bicycle and attempt to make a journey, one, because you might find it invigorating, two, because around two thirds of all car journeys are under five miles and you are just fucking lazy fat bastards, three, to find out whats its really like so you can keep your ignorant, fuck faced, stupid, ill judged comments to yourselves when you find out what happens on the roads, and last of all, because you’ll probably get a sore arse the first couple of times you ride and you’ll deserve it, as it’ll save me the effort from giving you one up the jacksy to fuck some sense into you.

Sorry, but I don’t own a car and I ride my bike in DC a lot. And I agree with them. I don’t frequently have problems with cars when I’m biking. Nor do I generally have problems with cars when I’m a pedestrian. I do frequently have problems with douchebag bikers when I’m a pedestrian. These assclowns ride along the sidewalk at a fast clip, weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic. They don’t check for pedestrians at crosswalks and just zip on through, then give you a dirty look if you almost get run down.

I had one just last night come roaring down the sidewalk, yelling “On your left!” at the top of his lungs as I was walking. I jumped out of his way, just before he ran me down, but if I had been thinking quicker, I would have stuck an arm out and clotheslined the fucker. Would have got what he deserved.

In fifteen years of driving around Sydney, I can remember most of the dozen or so incidents where a car has deliberately run a red light. I remember them because they left me gobsmacked with the driver’s arrogance. I wouldn’t be able to put a figure on the number of cars I’ve seen obey a red light in the same time. A hundred thousand? A million? I don’t know. My brain doesn’t even register red-running bicycles which, OTOH, run the reds MOST OF THE TIME. The only time they don’t is when they simply can’t because the intersection is too busy. This is especially fun when the guy who runs the reds on one of Sydney’s busy, narrow, yet multi-laned roads is the same guy who demands a full lane “because it’s my right. Neener neener neener”. What happens is that it takes forever of driving at 10MPH behind this fuckwad waiting for an opportunity to overtake him because the other lane is going at highway spoeeds, and then when I finally do get that chance, I enjoy being free of him for only a few seconds until I stop at the next red, and he sails past like King Shit, then I’m stuck behind him again. Wash, rinse, repeat. I’ve had to overtake the same cyclist five or six times on occasion.

Personally, I think if you’re over 18 and on a bicycle, you should have some sort of licence and registration if you’re going to pompously demand “equal road user” rights. That would mean you can be fined for acting like a dick. It would also mean you might finally help PAY for some of the infrastructure you use. And it might ALSO mean that next time you cause an accident, one of the motorists might be lucky enough to catch your number plate as you weave off outta there.

Finally, driving a Corolla in a city full of six-cilynder big cars, SUVs, and trucks, and being an occasional bicycle erider, and frequent pedestrian (as well as bus and rail commuter), I’ve seen all sides of this, and I assure you I’m not a “bully in my little four-wheeled empire” or whatever the fuck it was. And having seen all sides of it, cyclists stand out time and time again as a bunch of dangerous, smug, holier-than-thou tossmonkeys who consistently place themselves far above the rules.

Steve, I am genuinely NOT trying to be irritating, or politically correct. What you describe simply doesn’t fit with my experience. I work in a Dutch city that is full of cyclists who get along amiably enough with the other road users. A bit of give-and-take, but the various road users muddle along OK. When I am in the UK, I see the same thing (I am rarely in Oxford, I admit).

But I DO see a lot of verbal impatience amongst different classes of road users. You must see this is an issue, too? Regardless of your observations of cyclists, you KNOW that “motorcyclists” think “car drivers” are dangerous pillocks etc. That’s surely at LEAST as objectively true as your observations of cyclists. Couldn’t we agree that there may be some characteristics of this type of group-think displayed here?

I agree with this bit, anyway. Insurance and training are reasonable qualifications for the use of shared infrastructure.