Britishers: is this a deadly insult?

I was reading Trip Advisor reviews of a pub in Penzance, Cornwall, when I came upon this tale of woe from a customer.

Is there something nasty about the phrase “There We Are Then” that I’m missing? I can see being offended if it was said in a shrill, Monty Pythonesque voice while making a shooing motion, but otherwise I’m baffled.

*the pub in question has mostly excellent reviews, with a few vigorous dissenters. The place reportedly 86’d a local “celebrity” who referred to fellow townspeople as “inbreds”.

Not that I’m aware of. I think it’s just the lack of ‘Thank you’ they’re objecting to.

A guy I used to know (manager of my old allotment site) basically started a hate campaign against a local pub because the young waitress asked him and his wife ‘What can I get you guys?’ And how dare anyone imply his wife was a guy. Some people are just a bit weird.

It’s an acronym.

(I didn’t know this; I just searched on the phrase in quotes.)

Even in the US, the phrase is rather dismissive; certainly no substitute for “Thank you. come again.”

As Spock would say: Fascinating.

I may have to bookmark that one for local use.

That’s just dead brill.

To which the correct response is “See you next Tuesday.”

OK now I’m panicking wondering if I ever accidentally said it…

Not the ‘See you next Tuesday’ that one I know…

At least he didn’t say “I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle”.

Funny, unintended connotations kill your overt understanding.

The other server sends ernest regrets.

Who is ernest?

You saw it and you waited until it was too late to edit, didn’t you?

It’s either Ernest’s regrets or earnest regrets. Take your pick; they both work. :wink:

Going back to There We Are Then …

Is that a common phrase established in its own right before somebody noticed it acronymed into T**T? IOW would some out of touch UK geezer maybe say that as a totally normal summing up / taking leave statement not realizing the kids are using it differently nowadays?

Or was it coined by those kids nowadays specifically as a code phrase?

I’d say it’s something to take up with Oscar Wilde, but … then … there’s that whole “dropped vowel” thing to deal with…

Yes, but no. It was already too late to edit when I saw it. Besides, I don’t know how long the edit window is. Five minutes? 10? No idea.

Messin’ with ya… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

See you next Tuesday!
:rofl:

ETA: I didn’t get this reference for YEARS. for the longest time, I thought it was a mistaken reference to John Landis.

No.
Maybe There You Go Then, but more likely just There You Go.
And then only when they’re giving something (eg change).

Definitely my favorite word in the English language. :grin:

Shame it’s frowned upon these here boards.