Can I just point out, if we’re talking about causing offence, that we generally don’t take well to being called “Britishers”. Don’t do that.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard the phrase “Britishers” before …
It doesn’t bother me.
Sorry. Would’ve said “Brits”, but it sounded too informal. ![]()
I agree. It’s uncommon enough that I haven’t heard it very much, but I can’t see how it could be objectionable.
I’ve only ever heard it in Noel Coward’s “Mad Dogs and Englishmen”:
In the Philippines they have lovely screens
To protect you from the glare
In the Malay States there are hats like plates
Which the Britishers won’t wear
The consensus seems to be that there is no consensus. I know: wild, huh?
[No sense parsing the Reddit thread title. They don’t have our wonderful mods to pull their grammatical bacon out of the proverbial fire]
To be fair to the teachers, it wasn’t one teacher making the mistake four times. It was four teachers, each making the mistake once.
Agreed.
j
You’re ruining the joke !!
You know, there are multiple ways to taking that phrase, and not all of them are insulting. The reaction seems over the top.
@iamatractorboy, as a Wilde fan, I see what you did there.
I can’t recall hearing the word Britisher outside of the Noel Coward song. I can’t see anything offensive or inaccurate about it, and I don’t object to it.
Englishers I know from bad TV Nazi accents, so maybe Britishers is from Nazis who don’t want to inadvertently offend someone who might be Welsh, Scots etc?
A local friend is from Wales. You can call him Welsh, or you can call him British, but don’t you dare call him English.
I can’t recall hearing the word Britisher outside of the Noel Coward song.
Same. It mostly just sounds weird, not offensive. At best it’s mildly derogatory.
I’m not even sure any British people would be offended by being called a “Limey” anymore, as it’s so old-fashioned. Might just as well call someone a “sockdologizing old man-trap”.
A local friend is from Wales. You can call him Welsh, or you can call him British, but don’t you dare call him English.
Well, of course! Just like a Canadian likely doesn’t want to be called an American.
By the way, when I read the title Britishers: is this a deadly insult? I thought you would be asking British people if a particular word was an insult. It didn’t even occur to me from the title alone that Britishers was the word you were asking about.
That should indicate how non-insulting I find it.
By the way, when I read the title Britishers: is this a deadly insult? I thought you would be asking British people if a particular word was an insult. It didn’t even occur to me from the title alone that Britishers was the word you were asking about.
That wasn’t what the OP was asking about though, you need to read the whole thread.
I don’t mind “Britisher”, speaking as 1) someone whose passport is commonly referred to as “British” (although that’s something I’d vote to change) and 2) someone from the island of Britain (something that won’t change - British culture will always be a thing in the same way as “Scandinavian” culture transcends nationality). However, do not ever refer to me as a “Brit” - that’s got far too much baggage.
I’m not even sure any British people would be offended by being called a “Limey” anymore, as it’s so old-fashioned.
Indeed - lots of British people would actually laugh if an American tried to use the word to offend them.
I have Aussie friends who regularly refer to me as a ‘whinging pom’; as with other insults, it really does depend on who’s saying it.