Brokeback Mountain (OPEN SPOILERS)

Nah, it’s fine – after you see the film, you’ll understand – it really is a beautiful, heartbreaking love story, and the jokes just … eh. Don’t mean to get oversensitive here.

Are all jokes about gays and gay sex necessarily gay bashing?

If so I’d imagine the writers of Will and Grace are in a lot of trouble.

In the context of a lame and unwatchable sitcom, no.

In the context of people not being able to talk about a movie about two men who love each other without defaulting to them, in the manner of (as Hentor puts it) “adolescent chimpanzees” – yes.

I always thought Dopers were a bit more mature and enlightened than this.

What on earth have we ever done to give you that impression?

1- Humor like this has got to be expected, even in an “enlightend” group like the Dopers. It’s foolish to assume that’s it’s in anyway meant to be serious.

2- Man, the ads… FULL of singles ads on this one. None of them for single cowboys though.

I know…I didn’t read any of these “plays on words” to be gay bashing in the slightest. Just plays on words. I thought they were clever.

I’m sure it’s a good movie, and I will see it when it comes out on DVD, but I must admit that the first thing I thought of when I heard about this movie was the same thing Wayward mentioned: Do they eat pudding?

For those who don’t know, that’s a reference to the South Park episode where the Sundance festival comes to South Park.

Cartman: All independant movies are about gay cowboys who eat pudding!

I can certainly see where the overload of sexual inneundo jokes can be annoying and a bit juvenial, but I don’t think it’s gay bashing. If this movie was called “Mount Hump” and featured a hetrosexual affair, especially if it featured a well known “hunk” or “babe” (Brad Pitt say) you’d see quite a few sexual innuendos. I wouldn’t count these as “hetrobashing”.

But I’m hijacking your thread and I appoligize. After reading your opinion of it, I look forward to seeing the film as I like both Cowboy movies and tragic romances.

Fair enough – “gay-bashing” was hyperbole on my part.

Hey, y’all are being annoying and juvenile! Cut it out! :wink:

Or Humpback Mountain for that matter.

I can’t promise anything, but I’ll try.

I like movies about the old west and tragic romances too, hence my adoration of Jeremiah’s Johnson.

:rolleyes:

I just wanted to note that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid needs no embellishment.

There’s always a silver lining, twickster. Life is full of compensations. On the one hand, you got your heart broken. On the other hand, knowing that about you gives us all a chance to torment you for our own amusement! You see? Silver lining! :slight_smile:

This place – not just a community, it’s a goddamn family. :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps. But what if it were a movie about heterosexuals called “Brokeback Mountain”?

Perhaps I’m just really tired of these jokes because I heard so many of them this morning, and they started out pretty much like what you guys have offered so far. Before long, it was “Hopalong Faggoty” and “The Bone Ranger.” Tee hee hee.

Don’t mean to be a buzz-kill, but I would suggest that it is a bit more than simple joking about sexual innuendo, although I wouldn’t myself call it gay bashing. More like juvenile discomfort with a potentially challenging topic.

I think (or at least hope) this movie will be more challenging to homophobia than things like “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.” Nonesense like that is easy to dismiss - this will be more threatening.

What? There’s never been a gay love story on the screen before?

(snort!)

Well, I’m hard pressed to think of any honest depiction of romantic love and sex between two rugged and “manly” men before, especially in a mainstream movie. Can you help me out?