**Buuurp** So, how did your Thanksgiving go?

All of my guests just waddled home, the man is sleeping (poor dear has to work tonight), the girl is staring bleary-eyed at the television, and I’m sitting here digesting.

I got dinner on the table about half an hour late (first time hosting Thanksgiving) but everything was really good. I made a ham and chestnut stuffing (the recipe was suggested for me in another thread I posted a few weeks ago asking for recipes and which I’m too lazy to search for right now) only I couldn’t find chestnuts so I used pecans. It was delicious but I think it grew in the oven. I’ve got tons left over; I sent a bunch of it home with Mom and I tried to send some home with Dad but he fled out the back door before I find a spare bowl.

I also made cranberry sauce from scratch for the very first time and I was delighted when I discovered that when the recipe says “cook until the skin pops” that means they really pop. I love exploding food, it just makes cooking that much more entertaining.

All in all, I think I did pretty good for my first time cooking for a crowd. Everyone looked pretty bloated when they left, anyway. Everything’s cleaned up and put away, I’m off work until Saturday, got some shows on DVR that I haven’t watched yet…this might just be my favorite time of the year. The post-feast afterglow, when I have nothing left to do but relax.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mine hasn’t happened yet. We’re doing our Thanksgiving tomorrow night.

Outside of some minor petty bickering and Maggie trying to steal some turkey, (we had to lock her in the bathroom), pretty good. My dad found this technique for cooking the turkey faster online (in the local newspaper, I’ll try and look it up if anyone wants it), and it was absolutely divine. Sooooo juicy and tender!

Our turkey’s in the oven even as I type. It won’t be ready for another two and a half hours, so we’re watching TV (and surfing the SDMB, of course).

We have an 18 lb. bird, and there are 2 of us… so by my calculations, we each have to eat 9 lbs. of turkey! Good times! :smiley:

It’s in the oven, but I already know it will be great if only because I don’t have to listen to my brother-in-law anymore. Ahhhhhh…peace. I brined the bird, jammed a bunch of herbed butter under the breast skin, and gave it a fennel rub, which is something new. Damn! Two more hours!

I’m home alone. Roommate took off last night to spend the holiday with family.

Don’t feel sorry for me. I’m drinking, I picked up a ready-to-heat Thanksgiving dinner at the store yesterday. A whole turkey and all the fixin’s. The TV and video game console are ALL MINE today.

There are so many people in the world whose lives suck right now. I actually am taking the time to be thankful for what I’ve got.

In another couple hours or so, I’m heating that turkey and chowin’.

My mom and brother left about 90 minutes ago. The cleanup is all done (the dishes have even already been washed … yay, dishwashers!), Mom took home the leftover cranberry sauce and stuffing, and I have the leftover turkey, corn, and mashed potatos. And the leftover apple pie. :slight_smile:

Everything went well: my first homemade mashed potatos turned out pretty tasty (though next time I’ll use more butter), and the turkey breast cooked perfectly. My dinner, too, was about 1/2 hour late, but then so were my mom and brother – bro got a flat tire on the way to Mom’s this morning.

We had just enough time to play a round of '90s Trivial Pursuit after dinner, then Mom and I had some pie while I showed off my TiVo and new laptop. I’m giving my mom my old computer, and my brother took the monitor downstairs and put it in Mom’s car for me; I’ll follow with the tower in a couple of weeks. Mom can’t drive at night and she lives an hour away, so they couldn’t stay long – they were here for just under 4 hours.

I’m going to sleep in tomorrow but will go to work for a few hours in the afternoon, followe by a visit with my best friend and his family tomorrow evening, so tonight I’m doing nothing: right now I’m sitting on the couch, drinking some root beer, laptop on … well … my lap, with High Stakes Poker playing on the TiVo (it’s almost over, and next I plan to watch The Nine).

Life is good. :cool:

I’m a bit upset. Partner was supposed to go with me to eat Thanksgiving at the church. He had a bit too much Thanksgiving cheer so he slept in. I went to the service, but didn’t feel like eating by myself. I came home and made hamburger helper.

He got invited to go to dinner with friends. It is a bit too late in the day for me to have a full Thanksgiving meal, so I decided to stay home. I have to be up for work tomorrow and didn’t want to try to sleep on that much food.

So, I guess I’m having some leftovers tonight.

Had a midday meal at my 90-year-old mother-in-law’s retirement community (big swanky buffet with turkey, ham and prime rib). Good part: no prep, no cooking, no clean-up. Bad part: No leftovers! Maybe I can get Astroboy to mail me some turkey. :slight_smile:

Actually, that won’t be necessary, because tomorrow, my brother-in-law is frying two turkeys for four adults and one kid. My sister and I found a really decadent white-trash crock pot potato recipe that involves two packages of cream cheese. Some of my sister’s artwork is in a gallery show that opens tomorrow night, so we’re going to do the lah-dee-dah gallery opening and then come home and eat like the WV hillbillies we all are. Yahoo!

Mr. Ruby and I went to a local restaurant for turkey with all the trimmings. We were to have gone to my best friend’s house for the day but her sis-in-law decided I was the root of all evil and refused to come if we showed up. <shrug> Ain’t family fun? :rolleyes:

When I woke up there were about 30 doves on the patio eating sunflower seeds and I guess being thankful that they weren’t turkeys. I counted the local birds and sent the results to the Cornell Ornithology Lab; later I went to the neighborhood AA club where they were having a potluck. It was pretty good.

Now I’m cleaning up around the house and yard.

Spent 3.5 hours at my brother’s house where the 6 of us dined on turkey, the bad stuffing (my sister-in-law’s favorite…next year my brother gets to do the good stuffing), corn, crescent rolls, green olives, mashed potatoes and gravy, Waldorf salad, and pumpkin pie. There was a separate Cornish Hen and gluten-free stuffing and pie for the celiac niece. Brought home a plate of turkey, potatoes and corn for my son, and now I’m hungry again. So I guess I’ll have some leftover liver and onions.

After dinner the nieces and I watched a tape of Gilmore Girls and I knitted, and then I dozed off while watching Food Network. When I woke, it was time to head home. My nap there is traditional, and required, and is only maybe 20 minutes. Works out well for timing getting Grandma out of their hair.

It was quite lovely. Guests gathered at the swampcave around eleven this morning. We had bloody marys, mimosas and munchies. Dinner was at one and was a feast. This is one of those everybody brings stuff dinners but it’s planned so everybody knows what to bring. I did turkey, dressing, collard greens, rolls, cranberry sauce (the kind that plops out of the can. My inner white trash must have this), the gravy and a sweet potato pie. The SO bought a chocolate cake he shouldn’t have. It’s one of those with many thin layers and chocolate fudge icing that oozes down in all the layers. It was in the house all last night taunting us. Ummm… others brought glazed sweet potatoes, peas, corn, squash, mashed potatoes, caramel cake, appetizers, the makings for bloody marys and mimosas and assorted other stuff like deviled eggs, pickled peaches, wine for dinner and spiced apple rings. Very large eating was done!

After dinner several of us napped in the living room. People were snoozed out in recliners, on sofas and in the floor for about an hour. Then desserts were consumed. Most everybody was sent home with takeout plates. I bought for real takeout plates just for this. The kitchen’s all clean though I should empty the clean dishes from the dishwasher I suppose. Tomorrow I’m headed up to north GA to spend the weekend with mom, sis and the brethren.

I still have turkey hangover.

I had a ham&swiss sandwich, slathered with Trostel’s Horseradish, on Sourdough.

On the other hand, there’s nothing to clean up. Yay.

Mine was nice – dinner with friends-so-old-they’re-family, plus addl. friends and family (my BIL was there) and family of friends. Dinner (announced for 1:00, actually served around 3:00, but there was plenty to munch on) was excellent – my pumpkin-black-bean soup was a huge hit – no canned cranberry jelly though, bummer, that’s my fave. Hung out chatting for a couple of hours after – the hostess had knit some mittens, and we played Cinderella with them – they fit me, so I got them. Yay! Hand-knit mittens!

Drove home – got a flat on I-95. It was raining. Called roadside assistance, it took 15 minutes to do the phone call – they predicted 40 minutes for the guy to arrive, but it was more like 15 or 20, and god bless him he didn’t make me get out of the car, just changed the tire, no muss no fuss – I tipped him $20, thanked him effusively, and made it the rest of the way home with no further misadventures.

Went great, way way WAY too much food though but there always is. Step father fried up two small turkeys cajun style with a honeybaked ham, cornbread dressing, green beans, fried okra, sweet potato casserole, corn, deviled eggs and pumpkin pie. I brought potatoes au gratin with thee cheeses and roasted garlic, vidalia onion pie with country ham, cole slaw and homemade cranberry pecan ice cream. This was for 9 people, but we’re heading to my in-laws tomorrow for a pseudo thanksgiving kinda dinner so the leftovers will do double duty over there.

I ate Thanksgiving dinner at my brother’s house. He had deep-fried a couple of turkeys and injected them with some kind of a lemon butter sauce. This is the first time I’ve ever had a deep fried turkey and it was sumptuous. The white meat was moist, tender and almost as flavorfull as dark meat. I think I’m in love. The stuffing, cranberry sauce, and the whipped sweet potatoes with cruncy pecan topping were excellent as well. Now, I’m burping and farting as the feast works its way down my system.

Since my mom just sold her restaurant, it’s our first Thanksgiving at home in 19 years. I’m so used to waking up whenever, and going to the restaurant to cook our feast using the nice and huge commercial kitchen. But I think it was more fun since my brother and I had to pitch in with prepping the veggies, watch my mom crack open those crabs (yes we had crabs - my family hates turkey) and helping her cook the rest of the food. It made our home feel more welcoming and it felt like we were a normal family this year.

It was a delicious spread of perfectly seasoned and cooked crab, salmon, sea bass, rice and asparagus with cheesecake for dessert. Mmmm soooo good. Too bad the SO is too sick to eat much of anything other than soup. That’s ok, the shopping tomorrow will help him feel better :smiley:

I had some juice and a couple shots of Nyquil :frowning:

I hate being sick on a holiday.

The food looked good, but between cutting up food for my toddler-with-a-broken-wrist and corralling my pre-schooler back into his seat, I only tasted a few bites of turkey and sweet potatoes. Then the baby started fussing, so it was bottle time.

Two people told me how tired I looked (thanks), and one asked me why I have all this gray in my hair (again, thanks).

I brought the deviled eggs and a lovely cake for dessert, to take some of the work off my MIL. The cake was set aside on a back counter, and nobody ate any of it. I just left it there. See if I offer to bring anything ever again…

I’m not sure if I’m more hurt or angry.

But I’m glad that almost everyone else here had a nice time! And I don’t have to do this again for another month!