Cake...Cold or room temp?

I keep seeing this post as I scan through the threads on the board… and every time I see it, I desperately want cake. I honestly think I might bake a cake tonight just because I’m so craving cake now!

Cake hot out of the oven with melted butter is pretty damned tasty.

I can live with cake out of the fridge, but I prefer room temperature. What I really hate in the cake oeuvre is ice cream cakes. Blech.

I like cold cake, too. I like to refrigerate all baked goods–they taste better that way.

I do realize that’s somewhat unusual.

It’s cake. If it’s not frozen solid, currently on fire, or covered in mold…then it’s yummy.

I love hot ice-cream cake.
No…sorry…that’s really wrong.
I fuckin’ HATE ice-cream cake. It’s ice-cream for gawdsake shudder not cake.

Cat Whisperer, you and I should definitely share a cake. (You cut it so I can take the big piece(s).)

Rhiannan, scarfing chocolate cake at any temperature, at any time is perfectly fine by me. And I’ve probably had more experience with it than Bill Cosby

I prefer it warm. I’ll microwave it a few seconds if I have to.

Me too. Room temp is good. For brownies or cookies, I’ll keep them in the fridge to store them and then nuke them till they’re actually hot but cake is better just warm.

I like it warm if I can have plain cake with butter. I prefer that to most icings.

I voted “refrigerated” . . . not that I’d ever turn down cake at any other temperature.

I find it odd that you didn’t think of hot while doing this poll. Have a lot of you never eaten it that way?

For me, it depends on the type of cake.

I don’t think I’ve ever had refrigerated cake

It depends on the type of cake and the day (weather, mood, etc). Very often, however, it’s best before it ever sees heat: i.e. when it’s still batter.

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten freshly baked cake, no. And I don’t think it would occur to me to nuke cake in the microwave, the way I do with brownies or cookies that I’ve refrigerated. I’d probably just leave the cake out for a bit before eating it till it reached room temp. That’s what I’ve typically done with cake though I haven’t had that much in recent times.

Oven hot unless it’s icebox cake.

I have never eaten hot cake. I’ve had warm coffee cake or loaf cake, but never hot. In my OP I was specifically thinking about birthday cake w/frosting when I was doing the poll, though I didn’t actually indicate that.

I’ve not heard of Icebox cake. Is it like ice cream cake?

I put mine in the microwave.

Cake over here doesn’t last long enough to become room temperature, let alone stuck in an icebox.

Soon as all that frosting is lopped on, it’s ready for the alter, then sacrificed to the Fraternal Order of the Spoonlickers. :eek:

Depends entirely on the kind of cake, and also the temperature of the day. I’m more likely to want cold cake in summer, for example.

I’m with you. I much prefer birthday cake cold from the fridge after a day or two. I like the denser texture of the cake and the way the frosting hardens up a bit.