Cakes described as "soft eating..."

As you may already know, I like food and I often find myself trying packaged baked goods that have been imported from the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium etc…

I’ve often noticed the term ‘soft eating’ used on the packaging - Last night I actually thought I’d been reading this wrong all the time when I was reading a package that said “six soft eating apple dutch lattice cakes” - I thought for a moment that maybe it was supposed to be “six soft, [eating apple] dutch lattice cakes” - i.e. that they were made from dessert apples (commonly called ‘eating apples’ here), rather than cooking apples.
But examination of a different pack (“six soft eating fruits of the forest dutch lattice cakes”) cast that idea on the rocks.

So the term ‘soft eating’ certainly seems to mean something specific - not difficult to work out; I suppose it just means that the confections are not hard, crumbly or crunchy in the mouth. Still, the wording ‘soft eating cakes’ seems awkward in English…

To the General Question then: Is this a direct translation of something that feels a bit less awkward in another language?

I dunno who does the packaging text for baked goods imported from non-Anglophone countries or what their first language is. There does seem to be a Dutch phrase “zacht eten” (literally “soft eating”) that refers to soft foods in general (e.g., for babies). But I get a lot more Google hits on the English phrase “soft eating” than I do on “zacht eten”, and the English phrase seems to refer more specifically to the type of textural quality (soft, not chewy or crunchy) that you’re talking about.

So I’m going to guess that this term is a British-Englishism and isn’t directly translated from another language.

Dunno; it just sounds/looks or foreign to my (British) ears, in the same sort of way as it looks wrong when I see something like an English-language instruction manual for a German product and they have concatenated some of the English words together; ‘washingmachine’, for example.