Calling all cat lovers :(

In Loving Memory of Patches the Cat
1989 through Saturday, April 27, 2002

I had to put my sweet baby, Patches, to sleep this past Saturday. It was the hardest decision and act I ever had to do. He was 14 years old. We spent nearly half of my lifetime together. It’s so hard to say goodbye to 14 years of loyalty, love, and companionship. He was a wonderful, loving, beautiful kitty. I miss him so much.

He had kidney disease, hyperthyroid, and was nearly blind. He had been on medication and special food for a long time, but he didn’t get better. :frowning: I knew my baby’s days were nearing their end, but Wednesday night was when it really hit me hard. I was working out on the gym in my basement. Patches came looking for me and was on the stairway in front of me. He fell off the edge of the stairs and thudded to the floor. That’s when I knew how bad off my poor baby really was. He had gotten so weak and blind. Something in my heart told me then and there that Saturday would be his last day.

Friday night, Patches got very very sick. He was vomiting fiercely and couldn’t control his bowels. That’s what sealed my knowledge that his suffering had to end as soon as possible. I couldn’t stand to see my sweet baby in so much pain and suffering.

I held him as closely as I could, and gave him so much loving, during those last three days. I stayed right by his side and held him tight until he was gone. I buried him, myself, in the backyard. I’ve never had such a personal loss. I haven’t stopped crying for over 3 days. I can’t imagine what it must feel like to lose a human spouse, sibling, or a child. I feel like I have lost a brother and a child, in Patches.

It’s been very hard for me, but I take joy and comfort in knowing that Patches is not in any more pain. His brother, Buddy (same age and litter) lives on in good health. I have 3 other kitties left as well, plus my dog. They are all healthy as well.

Here is our last picture together, taken the night before he died. May he rest in peace.

I love you Patches. You are greatly missed, my dear friend.

I sit here crying after reading your post. I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing ending Patches pain, I know you know that. A cat could only wish to have a wonderful companion such as yourself. I truly, truly feel for you. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. You have support anytime you need it. My heart goes out to you.

Sorry to hear that. A pet is a member of the family, and for some people, losing a pet is very, very hard indeed. These things have to happen, and then we have to grieve. All the best to you, and the other furry ones.

I’m so sorry. I had to do the same thing a few months ago. My kitty Alley was 2 years older than Patches.

:hugs:

{{{{{{MagicalSilverKey}}}}}}

Your post brought me to tears too; my heart goes out for you. I really have a soft spot for kitties because I have 2 of my own. Your cat was very lucky to have such a loving owner.
{{{{{{MagicalSilverKey}}}}}}

several years ago, we almost had to do the same thing. not because our cat was old or sick, but severely injured.

we found cinders (i call him twinkie) almost eleven years ago around halloween, appropriately enough, because he was a black kitten. he was literally dropped off: he had a fracture in his leg, and a cut lip. so we took him to the vet, got him taken care of, and instantly, i fell in love with him.

that was just the beginning of his bad luck. one or two years later, he came up missing for about a week. i say a month, but that’s just me worrying. finally, one day, while i was at school, my mom opens the door, and there he is. but his eye was shut, and leaking, and his paws looked like they had been driven over.

the vet told us his right eye and two of his paws would have to be removed. he died three time during surgery, and came close several other times. during recovery, he had tetanus, and nearly died of dehydration. he constantly screamed in pain. and even today, his jaw is crooked from an irreparable fracture.

people kept asking us why we didn’t put him to sleep. believe me, we considered it. it was heart wrenching to hear him cry like that. but see, the day he came back, he casually walked into our house, jumped up on my bed, curled up on my blanket, and i think he knew we would do everything we could to save him.

now, here he is, almost 11, running through the house with as much energy as a kitten, getting stuck in the curtains, jumping at our feet, and helping us realize we made the right choice.

when the time comes, i’ll be crying for a month. but for now, i just want to enjoy all the time i have with the little guy, which is what i think every cat person should do.

i’m sorry about the loss, MSK. jeez, now i’m getting choked up.

I kept wondering what ever became of your cat. I’m glad you have the other animals to keep you company. Usually they can tell if their daddy is upset, so I’m sure they will comfort you.

Erp. Sorry, man. Don’t be too hard on yourself for feeling bad, either, take your time.

I kept wondering what ever became of your cat. I’m glad you have the other animals to keep you company. Usually they can tell if their daddy is upset, so I’m sure they will comfort you.

Erp. Sorry, man. Don’t be too hard on yourself for feeling bad, either. Take your time.

:frowning:

I know how you feel. I lost one of my rescue kittens last Sunday - poor thing weighed only 4 ozs.; she just couldn’t make it. She died in my hand. I cried for hours - over a cat I’d only had for a day.

You did the right thing. Patches is in the Happy Cat Hunting Ground right now, catching mousies for when you two meet up again.

Sorry about your kitty. :frowning:

Thank you everyone. I greatly appreciate your sympathies.

As my Aunt always says, “You get stars in your crown in heaven for every kitty you love.”

{{{{{MagicalSilverKey}}}}}

You made the right decision, although I know it was a tough one. You’re a strong man. I can’t imagine what you must be feeling now… I can’t even imagine putting Spud (our male tabby) down. I hope it is a decision that I/we never have to make.

Take care and remember the good times. He sounds like he was a good kitty.

i’m so sorry.

(((MSK)))

I’m glad you have other pets to comfort you.

Sorry about your loss. I know what it feels like to lose a companion like that. We once rescued a cat who had a broken leg that was going gangrenous. The vet had to amputate, and after three days we had cat #5, known as Tripod. He was my special friend, since the other cats are female, as is our dog and my wife:) He developed a kidney infection that killed him suddenly about seven months later. I cried.
I cried at work the next day. I still miss him, but I know that I will see him again in cat heaven. That is where I plan to go when the time is right.

{{{MSK}}}

:frowning:

Sorry about your loss. I know what it feels like to lose a companion like that. We once rescued a cat who had a broken leg that was going gangrenous. The vet had to amputate, and after three days we had cat #5, known as Tripod. He was my special friend, since the other cats are female, as is our dog and my wife:) He developed a kidney infection that killed him suddenly about seven months later. I cried.
I cried at work the next day. I still miss him, but I know that I will see him again in cat heaven. That is where I plan to go when the time is right.

I’m sorry about your loss. You did the right thing–it was an act of love. But I know that doesn’t make it feel any better. I cried for days over a guinea pig, so I know it really hurts. Maybe you could make a memorial donation to the humane society or the vet in Patches’ honor?

Each day that goes by, it hurts a little less, bit I miss him even more. I don’t want to ever forget my baby. The tears still flow and I don’t know when, or if, they will ever stop.

I think Buddy is beginning to realize his bro’ is missing. He seems to be looking for him, searching for his scent, and meowing a lot. I think one of the hardest parts of Patches being gone, is to see his brother, lying all alone in my bed or the chair. They were inseparable and always stuck close together, washing one another’s ears and so on. :frowning:

Patches’ death was not in vain though, for I have learned a great deal more about love and have gained a far greater appreciation for life and all that I have. I cherish the simple things I used to take for granted, like the sunrise and the sound of the birds singing in the trees. The morning after Patches died, I watched the sun rise, while holding his brother. It was beautiful and gave me great comfort, especially since the weather has been utterly dismal during this difficult time. It was the first time I had seen the sun in days. I usually am never up in the morning to appreciate the sunrise, but that morning, I felt it was something I had to do.

I see memories of Patches in everything now, and cherish them all, despite my pain and grief. I feel I have grown stronger through this tragedy. I did many things I never dreamed that I had the fortitude to endure.

Today, I downloaded “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston, and dedicated it to Patches. I will always love him, and the words of that song are probably exactly what he would have said to me, if he could have spoken. He seemed to say them to me through his eyes, during our last hours together.
If you hear that song, think of someone you love, as much as I loved Patches. Every second with a person or a pet is precious and shouldn’t be taken for granted. Don’t let the saying “You don’t know what you got until it’s gone,” be a cliche that will haunt you.

Thank you, again, for your condolences. Those of you who have lost recently, have mine as well. My heart feels your pain.