Calvin and Hobbes - my all-time favorite

I hope Watterson doesn’t mind I shared this link:

I just ran an Mega-Poll on comic strips over on Giraffe Board. No surprise Calvin & Hobbes won easily, winning every round decidedly.

It is simply the best ever.

It’s my favorite, as well.

Two of my all-time favorite Calvin strips:

I don’t usually choke up over the comics, but the story arc with the injured baby raccoon had me close to tears.

(I remember catching the first strip in the paper and thinking, Jeez, another wise-ass kid strip, then ignored it for a couple weeks. Next time I looked, there was a well-drawn octopus sliming across the kitchen floor about to devour the mother, and I thought, This guy ain’t screwing around, and I was hooked.)

Used to think Calvin & Hobdes was amusing … until I had kids … then it became a documentary.

If I had to pick one favorite…

I have The Complete Calvin and Hobbs hardcover collection.

Greatest comic strip of all time, IMHO.

This is one of my favorites.

The series of Snowmen alone put C&H above all others.

I think my favorite is one of these two

I was introduced to the series when I was a kid, but even after growing up and experiencing a wider range of literature, as an adult now I still think Calvin and Hobbes is the greatest work of English literature ever written, perfectly capturing the essence of what being a kid feels like.

In particular, the quote “You’re the only person I know whose good side is prone to badness.” kills me every time.

There are too many great strips to pick from, but some of my favorites are:

Or this one:

Didn’t Calvin at one point tear up his upstairs bedroom floor in an attempt to dig a tunnel? One of my favorites was Calvin dumbfounded by the notion of different parts of the same phonograph record moving at different speeds. And the one where he’s watching his dad change a flat in the rain, and wants to change channels. And the one where it’s explained to him how the weight limit of bridges is determined. Oh, and the one where he’s educated about the past being in black and white. I guess I like a lot of them :slightly_smiling_face:

One of my personal favorites:

And a recommendation for Calvin and Hobbes fans. Check out Amelia Rules! by Jimmy Gownley. It was a comic book series rather than a daily comic strip. Like Calvin and Hobbes, its run is over now. But the entire series has been published in book form.

Amelia Rules! is as good as Calvin and Hobbes. And as a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan, I don’t say that lightly.

I’ll try again, grrr!

Then there’s Robot Chicken.

This strip has been on my bulletin board since it’s first appearance!

It’s also the first entry in every travel journal I’ve had!
Love it!

I was in college when Calvin and Hobbes started, and the Madison newspaper carried it from very early on. It quickly became my all-time favorite, just edging out the two other great comic strips which helped to define the '80s – The Far Side and Bloom County.

This is one of my very favorite C&H strips, at least in part because it is eerily reminiscent of how my father answered the question that six-year-old me asked about the “rumble strips” in the road as one approached the toll booths on the Illinois Tollway.

And this one too!

One more!