can a band really make a comeback?

I’ll add the Beach Boys. I saw them at a free concert in Nassau Community College around 1969 and they couldn’t draw flies. There were probably fewer than 300 people there and most of them came to see “The Uncalledfor Three,” a comedy group. They were even dropped by their record company.

However, by constant touring and appearances on oldies stations, they built up a following and eventually became a major act again. They had their first hit single since the 60s with “Kokomo” in 1988.

tommy shaw quit the band for some time… but he is back for this album… they also kicked david deyoung out of the band (or he left or something … i dont know …he’s gone)

Um…wouldn’t that be Dennis DeYoung?

:smiley:

Van Halen came back… oh wait, never mind.

Guns and Roses absolutely cannot do a comeback tour. NO WAY. He’s a punk! James Hetfield was being burned alive and Axl just smoked a cigarette, swore, and stomped out! PUNK!

I just asked my mom who could never do a comeback. This is her answer:

Boy George

:slight_smile:

No, Tommy Shaw is fine, but their drummer, John Panozzo, died a few years back. His twin brother Chuck is still their bass player.

The Styx saga is an interesting one. Actually, to promote their album their Behind The Music is airing again (Tues 2/18 @2am & 11am EST) so you can see it all for yourself.

As was said, John Panozzo passed away a few years back and DeYoung was/is sick with a strange illness that makes him adverse to strong light. Or at least that’s his story.

I downloaded Cyclorama from the net so I could listen to it while waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive and its a very good album. I am mighty pleased with it.

To keep this on topic… yeah, some bands can make a comeback like Aerosmith and Bon Jovi, but as much as I love Styx I don’t think they can. Of course I could be wrong, and I’d love to be wrong here.

Ozzy Osbourne started his successful solo career from scratch after 10 years in Black Sabbath. If Sharon hadn’t saved his sorry ass, he’d just be “that guy in Sabbath who died”.

Fire BAD!!! Fire BAD!!! Hahahaha…

Umm…right. Deep Purple had a comeback in 1984 with the release of Perfect Strangers, one of their best-selling albums ever. One could also argue the case for Iron Maiden, when Bruce Dickinson returned to the fold for the 2000 release Brave New World.

While not commenting on bands that have had comebacks, it appears that Joan Jett (with or without the Blackhearts) should be on the “never will come back” list.

Not a group, but Lenny Kravitz was included in the 1998 editon of Wayne Jancik’s The Billboard Book of One-Hit Wonders, then went on to have a big string of hit records.

Where’s that slapping yourself in the head icon?

Blondie! Great comeback album “No Exit”. Didn’t do great in the US, but a lot better than their previous album. But “Maria” did extremely well in the UK and Australia.

Huh? Lenny Kravitz had released 4 albums and had several radio hits before 1998. A couple of his albums have been real duds but his career had hardly been in stasis long enough to qualify for a “comeback”.

Steve Winwood had a big career with Traffic, then vanished into obscurity for probably 15 years before making it big with a solo career.

Boy George had a comeback of sorts, when he did the song for The Crying Game movie

i missed the behind the music… how was it? … what did it say about cyclorama… i think that it sounds pretty good… why do you think they will not be able to come back???

Well, I think Great White is out of the running for a comeback. They just killed half of their fan base.

Hey! My ticket to Hell just got upgraded to First Class!

Ignoring commercial success, Yes just released (<2 years) their best album in decades, Millenium. Much of their music in-between has been hit or miss.

YMMV.

That, and they’ll be forced to file for bankruptcy after the club, the survivors, and the relatives of the dead all file suit.

I’d say they already had a bigger comeback in the late 1960s after Syd Barrett was kicked out. How many other bands have become more popular than their initial success? Especially when you consider that their frontman, songwriter, and singer succumbed to mental illness, yet management followed him, abandoning the band.

(Personally, though, I would have followed Syd Barrett, too. The only Pink Floyd stuff I like is the early singles and the “Piper at the Gate of Dawn” era–the Syd years. However, they did become superstars once he left. Check out Syd Barrett’s solo stuff. It’s absolutely amazing.)