Hopefully, the recount will lead to an indisputable win for Gore. That they are even considering a revote is absurd. If the ballot is illegal, too bad, both local Parties agreed to the ballot, get it right next year. It was an obviously failed attempt at a ballot style that the creators thought would be easier for people to read.
If the disgruntled idiots of Palm Beach County (the 4% of the population there that couldn’t figure out what the other 96% could) get a revote, Bush should take the high ground and concede the election just because Gore’s campaign manager seems far too irresponsible to do so. Otherwise, the attorneys, once they get their hands in there, will never leave the electoral process, they’re like a cancer. My take on this whole Florida recount/lawsuit thing:
Okay, if we can jump through this hoop and win, we’ll quit, but if that hoop doesn’t work, we have this other hoop, and if that one doesn’t work, we have another and another and another…
Hopefully Al Gore will develop a stronger sense of the damage that these lawsuits will do to the election process than his campaign manager. Of course, that is what Daley was hired to do, to win the election, and he has no scruples whatsoever about how he does it. But for the Democratic Party to support these lawsuits is truly sad, and yes I would say the same exact thing if the roles were reversed.
I agree about the media spin though David, although they won’t back down until they stop selling commercials and papers with their spins. It is at least another week before all the votes are even in. It is premature with this close race to call it either way. Gore should use a recount, an election this close, IMHO, shows that the U.S. is more similarly minded than ever, more centrist, not, as others have spun, more left/right than ever.
*Regarding a Bush/Gore term, I think we would all prefer a Cheney/Lieberman term, they were much more civil to each other.