Can Geico really save you 15 percent on your car insurance...

You’ve seen the commercials (and likely the threads about them on here). You know what I’m talking about.
So insert your own line to finish the statement in the thread title.

Sure, why not. I don’t know personally, but they can just minus 15% from whatever your bill is now, then raise it back later.

But, the way the commercial is phrased, it’s not a guarantee. I think it’s just the average savings of people who switched.

In fact, almost every time someone switches it’s to save bucks, and it’s very common to be able to get a cheaper rate somewhere.

BTW, Geico has horrible service.

Yes, however Progressive will get you a similar rate with much better coverage*

*in my experience at least

I’m pretty positive Geico cannot get me a better rate.

That commercial always pisses me off:

“Switching to Geico *could *save you 15% or more.”

So the “could” implies it might be *less *than 15%, and the “or more” implies that it might be *more *than 15%. In other words, that sentence conveys absolutely zero information, other than “anything could happen”!

My wife got full coverage through GEICO, and it cost ~$800/year. Adding my car, it’s now $600 per year per car.

Between us, we’ve made ~$15k in claims in the past 3 years, and GEICO has not raised our rates nor charged us any deductibles.

I don’t think this thread is turning out the way the OP intended …

… Can the SDMB totally go in the wrong direction with a thread?

jump cut to this thread

The OP chiming in here. Yeah, I really wasn’t talking about whether you could* really* save 15 percent with Geico. I was thinking more along the lines of someone inserting their own statement like:
Can Geico really save you 15 percent on you car insurance…
Can Jenna Jameson really suck the chrome off a trailer hitch?

(Cut to video of Jenna Jameson literally sucking the chrome off a trailer hitch with a giant vacuuum)

Although I will say it does sound like Superhal is getting a deal on his insurance.

Since this thread ended up serious, I tried to see what they could do for my motorcycle. I pay about $60 a month right now. They wanted $150 a month.

They claim that people who switch save an average of 15%. Of course, people don’t usually switch unless they know they’ll save money because of it.

I have State Farm and Geico is more expensive.

Yeah, it’s like their version of “Save up to 15 percent! Or more!” What the hell does that mean?
As for the OP, how about the obvious one?

Can Geico really save you 15 percent on your car insurance?
Does a bear shit in the woods?

Maybe followed by video of a bear stepping out of a porta-potty in the middle of a forest, with toilet paper stuck to it’s paw.

Even better version of this one.

… Does a bear…

Quick cut to bear leaving the port-a-potty.

Cut back to Deadpan Guy. He’s looking off-screen, but with his completely deadpan look.

… I wasn’t finished speaking.

Now, now, GEICO can offer significant discounts to the right people, if you are a federal government employee, current or retired military and some other government affiliations.

Because, as you should know, GEICO started out as the Government Employee Insurance COmpany and you still get a break if you work for the government. The business just decided to go public and offer services to everyone.

If you are a non-public employee and you really like the idea of paying to subsidize lower rates for those who are government employees, this is the company for you.

No.

For the sake of all which is Holy & Beautiful, don’t give them ideas guys!

Well, that meme might confuse audiences into thinking they’re watching a Charmin commercial. :wink:

Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on your car insurance?

Is Brett Favre indecisive?

(Oh, wait, Sears already used this one, last year. :wink: )

I’ve tried before, but they can not beat my current rate.