Can God make a mistake?

Can/did God make a mistake?

If ChairDeity is going to wipe out all of us, AGAIN, then we must all have been exterminated already.

So who are you?
Who’s writing this?

The Old Testament tells of the Flood…
My SDMB status is ex-lurker/newbie.

My religious background is Christian.

My level of “faith” is between doubtful and devout.

My intent is to spark a discussion that would include various viewpoints in order to gain understanding and possibly make that final “leap” or fall back on my ass, again.

OK?

I see that nevermore posted a thread questioning the “omniness” of my God. I should go and read that. Feel free to post if you think my topic is different enough.

I would say that, in general, if you believe in a god who is omniscient and all that, then it would be hard to say that “He made a mistake.”

Then again, I knew a campus preacher who certainly believed all of that about God, but once told us that “He changed his mind!” I wondered aloud how that was possible if he knew the future and the past and all that, but it’s not like logic was one of his strong points…

That’s how I justify my existance.

How would [loud Bronx cheer]“Dr.” Laura[/loud Bronx cheer] answer this question?

Do you wear a “WWDLD?” braclet?

:wink:

God started the flood that wiped out almost all of humanity and a few unicorns. Why? Because humans made a mistake? Wouldn’t that be God’s fault then for making us falable? Or, if doing so isn’t falable on God’s part, doesn’t that mean that it isn’t on ours as well? After all, He created us in His image.

And if humans were bad, why create a flood to kill everything? Did the lions piss him off? Did the monkeys throw feces at Him? Was He morally offended by those abnormally large sacs that goats have hanging down between their legs and children snicker at during petting zoo field trips? He’s GOD! He can find plagues to destroy just the humans, can’t he? It worked in Egypt. Well, maybe the frogs pissed him off there too, I don’t know.

The point is that either us making mistakes isn’t actually a mistake, or God made a mistake by allowing us to make mistakes. Now, just how much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

I like Terry Pratchet’s/Niel Gaiman’s take on it from Good Omens.

It’s all part of God’s ineffable plan, and it all just sort of works itself out in the end.

Or doesn’t.

*ExTank
“Mostly Harmless :p”

He made you, didn’t he? Res ipsa loquitur.

Yes, then I know what NOT to do.

On second thought, that would be granting her too much influence.

The “Eskimo’s” prefer to be called Inuit. The apostrophe is grammatically incorrect.

Therefore if “God” wrote that, God made a mistake.

I believe God can make a mistake. I think an importaant component of free will is, well, undetermined future. If you can’t change anything with your decision, free will seems to exist only as a technicality.

I think when dealing with other free wills, God has made mistakes based on an incomplete understanding of how human beings think and react.

–John

“Mistake” is subjective, depending upon one’s perspective. Does the dog think it’s a mistake if you drop your roast beef sandwich on the floor? Probably not.
God doesn’t care what we think is a mistake.

witch weighted ego,

hello, and welcome to the board.
(I wasn’t sure whether you wanted a debate.)

You posted ‘I (God) shall be forced to … wipe out ALL of you, again.’ (capitals mine)

So I replied we must all have been exterminated already.

You said ‘The Old Testament tells of the Flood…’

I don’t follow this.

Thanks for the responses. nevermore’s thread turned out to be quite a bit different.

glee said:

Is this a nitpick or do you not understand the reference? I feel kinda silly explaining this since it has no major bearing on the discussion.

The letter is addressed TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN. ALL refers to the concerned parties and the word AGAIN alludes to the biblical flood. According to the Old Testament, ALL concerned parties were wiped out then, as well. Noah’s group was excluded from the distribution list the first time around, just as the Inuit (Eskimos) have been excluded from this one.

Does this help?
SeatTime said:

Let me get this straight. A person is to God as a dog is to his master. If that’s the case, how could I even be asking the question?

Yue Han said:

That helps. :slight_smile:
This is oversimplified and breaks down farely quickly, however, I’m picturing a Divine game of Sim Universe and God has programmed the rules and laws. With a click of the mouse, poof Vacuum Genesis to Apocalypse in an instant. What would be the meaning of “playing,” if He already knew every detail of the outcome? We experience it real-time and He has “cheat codes” allowing Him to intervene and/or re-run the program when necessary.

I don’t mind thinking of myself as a player on the “game grid” as long as He has my best interests at heart. If there’s anything I’ve gleaned from the Bible, it’s that He promises to love me…I hope as much as I love my own children.

for a human being to figure out that God made a mistake, wouldn’t that human being have to be smarter than God? is it time to demote God?

Dal Timgar

If God is Omniscient, He cannot make a mistake. Inherent in the idea of a mistake is the idea that either an action has unintended consequences or a situation has developed in an unantacipated manner. Neither is possible if the God in question is omniscient.

dal_t:
It is not necessary to be smarter than someone else to recognize their mistake. It is only necessary to have information which they lacked when they made their choice. I can quite easily point out a number of mistakes that Isaac Newton made in methematics and physics, for instance. That does not mean that I am more intelligent than Newton was. (For that, I would have to point to my brilliant achievements in optics and theoretival physics ;))

The dog/man, man/God relationship isn’t relevant. The participants’ perspectives is. Haven’t you ever wondered why someone was going about something in a particular way? It seemed “wrong” to you, but, in the end, it all made sense.

I don’t want to hijack, but if you open a man-as-God’s-pet thread, I’m sure you’ll get plenty of responses.

Of course, you’d have to first prove His existence. :slight_smile: