Can/should/how to become more than friends?

Hmm, I guess six months is a long time, perhaps. I was “just friends” with my now-husband for about three months, and very attracted to him, but I was seeing someone else at the time.

It’s possible she’s acting this way because she knows she’ll be separated from Ender_Will when she goes off to college - maybe she’s scared of them getting hurt by that or by the changes that’ll happen during college.

Or, maybe she is keeping him around as “backup” in the “need a guy to do stuff for me but don’t want to date him” material. Still, if she hadn’t been dating in the interim, it’s possible that no, maybe she didn’t want to date anyone back then, and maybe she’s too shy to make an overt move now. (Maybe.) That’s why I said to consider just telling her.

Have you tried doing the ‘Space Invader’ test?

Next time you’re out for coffee with her, do some quick action that takes you into her close body space. Reach over real close for some sugar, whatever, just something that takes you in closer than people normally get in polite society.

It’s unlikely her unconscious body will lie. If she’s not attracted to you she’ll jump a mile back or say ‘sorry’ or something. If she stays where she is, and keeps calm, and smiles at you - you got a different answer.

But you have to do it quickly, before she registers what’s going on.

Good luck!

Let it be. Stay in contact with her when she goes to college in a couple short months. If you are meant to be together, she will return in four years (or faster) and you’ll get together. In the meantime, date other people with an open mind about her not being the one.

I got involved with a guy the summer before I went to college. I picked the guy on purpose because I knew it wouldn’t be a long term deal and I’d be able to walk away in August with no regrets. At the same time, I didn’t choose to get involved with another guy who I really liked and was a much better fit because I wouldn’t have wanted to go away for school - but we did stay friends (and later dated when I moved back into town). This is not leading a guy on. This is saying “I like your company, but this is not the right time for this relationship.”

No, saying “I like your company, but this is not the right time for this relationship,” is saying “I like your company, but this is not the right time for this relationship.”

If you know that someone is attracted to you, that confers upon you an obligation to be gentle with his or her feelings. You don’t have to date them out of pity, but you do have to be honest with them.

Jessity- We’re hard to find, but tough to beat (to quote a local commercial) :smiley:

Happy Scrappy- I think you’ve hit the nail on the noggin. Honesty is completely the key.

Had a bad experience like this myself, but doesn’t mean this one might work out for ya, Ender. Good luck and keep us posted!