Can someone help me find this image of New York City?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I kinda guessed and this seemed like the best bet.

I am a longtime fan of Northern Exposure, the old CBS comedy-ish program. For most of the series Fleischman had a poster of New York City hanging in his office. It was never clearly shown, but I’ve always been intrigued by it.

Recently I’ve been watching the series again on DVD, and again I’m wondering about that poster. I’ve decided I want a copy of it. Trouble is, I can’t find it anywhere. So I turn to the Dope.

I’ve managed two incredibly shitty screenshots of the poster, but it might be enough:

It’s a drawing, clearly titled 'New York: A View of the World." Now, it is most certainly not Steinberg’s New Yorker cover that he did in the 70’s, but that seems to be the only results I’m getting. This poster appears to show Central Park in the foreground, looking (I think) south on lower Manhattan.

Anybody know anything about this image, or have any idea if it is available anywhere else?

I think it’s a one-off for the TV show, a poster meant to be similar to The Poster Everyone Thinks Of but different enough they don’t need to pay royalties.

There is a New York magazine; articles in it inspired both Saturday Night Fever and “Taxi”, and its back-issues are wonderful. It used a vastly different typeface for its logo; the logo on the poster is meant to resemble that used in the masthead of The New Yorker (note different word-things) but, as you said, it isn’t The Poster. It is merely a tribute to The Poster.

Here’s a calendar from 1989.

And an eBay poster.

AAAUUUGGHH!!! That’s it!

Bought!

You are my new favorite person!

View of the World from 9th Avenue

That’s the one drawn by Steinberg I alluded to in the OP. As Derleth pointed out it’s similar, but not it.

I have no idea how GuanoLad found it, but I’m grateful he did. I’m still curious who created it and what the title is, but for now I’ll take what I can get.

I’d like to get a copy of Steinberg’s piece as well, but decent prints are prohibitively expensive.

From what I could find, it’s by someone named Harvey Hutter. I found the playing cards first, and if you zoom in, it says “(C) 1990 H. Hutter” on the bottom left.

ETA: I found it by Google image searching “New York: A View of the World” with the quotes and clicking on the images that matched your image.

Like Pulykamell says, all it took was the right search terms, and a lot of looking, to find the calendar, and I went from there. It appears to be a big series called “View Of The World” and was probably a hot seller for tourists in various cities in the late 80s, as the images can be found on fridge magnets and coffee mugs, etc.

Well thank you both very much. I searched Google high and low, but for some reason it never occurred to me to do an image search. :smack:

In all honestly I want the poster because I have an irrational love of Northern Exposure. I would love to get a poster of the Steinberg cover, but alas, they are too rich for my blood.

Interesting that Steinburg sued Columbia Pictures for their “Moscow on the Hudson” poster,
But Harvey Hutter is selling the same about NYC ???

NY map society web page makes reference to the Steinburg style, but calls it Hutter Style, and then admits it would be best to name it Steinburg ???

http://www.newyorkmapsociety.org/FEATURES/POST2.HTM