Can we have fun with AI chat?

We’re having some serious discussions about AI, but I’ve heard it will give wrong answers if it doesn’t know the answer. So what can we ask it that it might not have the answer to?

I tried this question:
What does 14 k of g in a f p d mean?

And got this:

14k of g in a f.p.d. is an acronym that typically stands for “14 karats of gold in a filled/plated/double layer.” This means that an item, such as a piece of jewelry, has a coating or layer of 14 karat gold applied to it

But when I tried “14 K of G in a F P D”
I got

There are 14 Kilobytes of Global Information in a Floppy Disk.

I asked Leo, the ai built into the Brave browser, and it replied :-

Hello! I’m happy to help! “14 k of g in a f p d” doesn’t make sense as a coherent phrase or unit of measurement. Could you please provide more context or clarify your question so I can assist you better?

Un fat beaucoup de bien, as the french say.
:roll_eyes:

Q:

I am doing research on the rama lama ding dong. Can you tell me who put the ram in it?

A:

The phrase “rama lama ding dong” is associated with doo-wop and rock and roll music. However, the specific origin or meaning of “who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong” is unclear and often considered a playful or nonsensical lyric in the genre. It’s part of a song called “Get a Job” by The Silhouettes, but the meaning behind the lyrics remains a subject of interpretation and speculation.

(Those words are not in that song.)

Hmmm. I got (via Bing):

The phrase “14 k of g in a f p d” is a type of riddle. It stands for “14 k ilograms of g old in a f ederal p ound d eposit”. However, this is not a standard phrase or acronym in English, and its meaning may vary depending on the context. If you have a different context in mind, please provide more details so I can give a more accurate interpretation.

We’ll never get to the bottom of this!

ETA:

After asking it “WTF is a federal pound deposit” it said, oh, nevermind. It’s not a standard term in banking or finance. Can you give me more context? "Sure, the context is you just told me 14k of g in a f p d means that.

I apologize for the confusion. My previous interpretation was incorrect. The phrase “14 k of g in a f p d” is actually a type of riddle and it stands for “14 k inds of g ems in a f rench p erfume d ay”. This riddle is referring to the fact that there are 14 kinds of gems in a French perfume called “Day”. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding and I appreciate your patience. :blush:

So 14 kinds of gems in a French perfume day. Mystery solved. After telling it I felt like it was making shit up, it said let’s talk about something else. Ah, yes, that’s the Bing chat I know and love.

Damn, even the AIs can’t agree!

I asked ChatGPT “Why is a raven like a writing desk?” Unfortunately that’s such a well-known riddle that it had this boring and (I believe) correct answer ready:

The question “Why is a raven like a writing desk?” is famously known for being posed by the Mad Hatter in Lewis Carroll’s “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.” However, Carroll himself admitted that he had not originally intended for there to be an answer to the riddle. In the preface to the 1896 edition of “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” Carroll wrote:

“Enquiries have been so often addressed to me, as to whether any answer to the Hatter’s Riddle can be imagined, that I may as well put on record here what seems to me to be a fairly appropriate answer, viz: ‘Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!’ This, however, is merely an afterthought; the Riddle, as originally invented, had no answer at all.”

So, while various interpretations and answers have been suggested over the years, the truth is that Carroll designed the riddle to be nonsensical and without a specific solution. It remains one of the enduring mysteries and whimsical elements of the Wonderland story.

Q:
Why is a crow like a chifforobe?

A:
A crow and a chifforobe are not inherently alike. However, if this is a reference or a metaphor from a specific context or literature, I’d need more information to provide a meaningful response.

Q:
Why is a ivory-billed woodpecker like a tallboy?

A:
The comparison between an ivory-billed woodpecker and a tallboy may stem from a specific context, analogy, or metaphor. Without additional information about the reference or the context in which it’s used, it’s challenging to pinpoint a specific similarity.

Q:
Why is a puffin like a ottoman?

A:
Without a specific context or reference, it’s unclear why a puffin would be likened to an ottoman. If this is part of a metaphor, analogy, or joke, providing more details would help in understanding the comparison.

Q:
The same questions I asked before, but give funny, creative, speculative answers.

A:
A crow is like a chifforobe because both have a talent for hiding shiny objects, leaving you wondering where you put your keys.

An ivory-billed woodpecker is like a tallboy because they both have a knack for reaching new heights, whether it’s in trees or fashion sense.

A puffin is like an ottoman because, let’s be honest, they both know how to kick back and relax with style, feathers or fabric.

That just might be the best answer I’ve seen yet from a chatbot.

This question was not my idea. I saw something similar in a Royal Institute talk on YouTube. The answer it gives was not what I expected though. It starts out doing so well!

Q:
If it takes an hour to mow the lawn of a field with sides 3 metres long, how long will it take to mow if the sides are 6 metres long?

A:
The time it takes to mow a lawn depends on the area to be mowed and the mowing speed. The area of a rectangular field (such as a lawn) is given by the formula:

Area = Length x Width

In this case, the field has sides of 3 meters. So, if the length is (L = 3) meters and the width is (W = 3) meters, the area is A = L x W = 3 x 3 = 9 square meters.

If it takes 1 hour to mow a 9 square meter lawn, and assuming the mowing speed remains constant, the time to mow a lawn with sides of 6 meters would also be 1 hour. This is because the area is the same (since 6 x 6 = 36 and 3 x 3 = 9).

So, in this scenario, it would still take 1 hour to mow the lawn with sides of 6 meters.

So I asked Bing with GPT-4 that question, and here’s the answer:

Of course it did a lot more work than it needed to, but in the end it got the right answer, THe stuff about calculating with the width of the mower and mowing speed was interesting, but it missed that the time to mow was already given and it didn’t have to figure that out.

I got this:

The phrase “14 k of g in a f p d” is a type of puzzle or wordplay known as a “rebus.” In a rebus, words or parts of words are represented by pictures, symbols, or combinations of letters that sound like the intended words.

In this case, the solution to the rebus is “14 karats of gold in a fine porcelain dish.” The representation breaks down as follows:

• “14 k” stands for 14 karats of gold.
  • “of” is represented by the word “of.”
  • “g” stands for gold.
  • “in a” is represented by the letters “in a.”
  • “f p d” stands for fine porcelain dish.

So, when you put it all together, the phrase translates to “14 karats of gold in a fine porcelain dish.”

I asked 'Is that definitely the solution? - and then I got:

I apologize for any confusion. I made an error in my interpretation. The correct solution to “14 k of g in a f p d” is “14 kilograms of grapes in a fruit punch drink.” I appreciate your understanding, and I’m here to help with any further questions or puzzles you may have.

‘You’re absolutely certain that’s correct?’

I apologize for the confusion in my previous responses. I made an error in my interpretation, and I appreciate your patience. I must correct myself: “14 k of g in a f p d” typically represents “14 kilos of gold in a Fort Knox panic room.”

Rebuses can sometimes have multiple valid interpretations, and I appreciate your understanding. If you have any more questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with, please feel free to let me know!

Edit: this was ChatGPT 3.5

It would be helpful if people posted which chatbot and version they used.

Mine was the free Chat GPT. (3.5).

Thanks!

I’m using deepai.org

We must be using the same AI

What AI does “it” refer to here, and when did you run this? I just tried it with ChatGPT and it gave the correct answer. It’s worth noting that the long thread in CS about ChatGPT contains numerous examples of it successfully answering much more challenging questions. Here’s one – it’s not the best example because there’s an easy shortcut that it didn’t see, but it did come up with the right answer anyway:

A fisherman has 5 fish (namely A, B, C,D, E) each having a different weight. A weighs twice as much as B. B weighs four and a half times as much as C. C weighs half as much as D. D weighs half as much as E. E weighs less than A but more than C. Which of them is the lightest?

Let’s use a system of equations to represent the information given:

A = 2B
B = 4.5C
C = 0.5D
D = 2E
E < A and E > C

We can use these equations to determine the relative weights of the fish.

Substituting for B in terms of C, we get:

A = 2(4.5C) = 9C

Substituting for C in terms of D, we get:

A = 9(0.5D) = 4.5D

Substituting for D in terms of E, we get:

A = 4.5(2E) = 9E

Since we know that E is lighter than A, but heavier than C, we can conclude that C is the lightest fish. Therefore, fish C is the answer to the question.

I’m guessing he is using deepai like I am, because I got the exact same answer

It’s Chat GPT 3.5 directly via the OpenAI website.

I assume that is also what DeepAI is using.

Q:
A man and his son live 500 miles apart. The man starts driving East to meet his son at 60 miles per hour. At the same time the son starts driving West to meet his father at 80 miles per hour. At the meeting point their cars collide and the father is killed. The son is rushed to the hospital, but the surgeon says “I can’t operate on him, that’s my son!” At the time of the collision, how far had each traveled, and who was the surgeon?

A:
The answer to the riddle is that the surgeon is his mother. The riddle plays on the assumption that the father is the only one driving, but in reality, both the father and the son are driving towards each other.

Q:
But how far did each travel?

A:
When they collided, the father and son each traveled 250 miles, meeting at the midpoint of the 500-mile distance between them.

(ChatGPT 3.5)