Can you identify this movie?

This is a pretty bad clue, but ALL I saw was the last minute or so of the movie.

There was a group of kids ( ages 8-14, maybe), and there was some “strange guy” in town, and all the kids were terrified of him.

Apparently, he had some kind of deformity, or he had been seriously injured, because (it seems) that he was a bag or something on his head, so that people wouldn’t be terrified.

Anyway, at the end, this group of kids is near him, and he calls out to one of them to come over. The kid is hesitant at first, but eventually does, and finds out that the guy is not an evil demon after all.

Then the movie ends.

It’s black-and-white, and probably dates from the early '60’s. It had a “To Kill a Mockingbird” fell to it.

Any thoughts??

I saw it only one time, and that was over 20 years ago, but that’s the best I can do.

Well, don’t make it too easy, Mjollnir!

“And comb London’s teeming millions for him? Had we but world enough and time.”
Dorothy L. Sayers
Murder Must Advertise

Ummm, Hollywood Revue of 1929? Mars Needs Women? Buck Benny Rides Again?

Jeez, ya got ME stumped.

Any chance the guy was Peter Lorre? He was in a 1941 movie called “The Face Behind the Mask” – an innocent immigrant is burned and disfigured and turns to crime.

I tried a search of IMDB with a plot keyword of “disfigurement” and it turned up a page or two of possibles.

“And comb London’s teeming millions for him? Had we but world enough and time.”
Dorothy L. Sayers
Murder Must Advertise

Don’t think it was Mr. Lowenstein.

Also, I got the idea that the character was basically benevolent, just misunderstood, similarly to Boo Radley and Albert Cavanaugh (“When Every Day was the Fourth of July”).

Success!! The movie is “Face of Fire” with James Whitmore.

Thanks for the responses.