Can't change IP address in my new router

I just got a Netgear DGN2200 modem-router and I am trying to set the ip to 169.254.49.1 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0 but the router says “Invalid IP address” and won’t accept it. :mad:

This is the address I had in my previous Netgear DG834G v4 router with no problem. Why the new router cannot accept this ip?

I’m no network expert, but my understanding is the 169.254.x.x addresses are self-assigned, if DHCP fails. I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t manually assign such an address.
You are better of picking a “normal” private address, like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

Problem is that I have a fuel pump controller module that has an IP in that range and cannot be changed easily. So essentially I shoehorned my whole network around that device.

This is very strange because I had several other routers before this one and never had this problem.

Are you sure you can’t assign your pump controller a more reasonable IP address?

It is possible that your new router is broken. I have had at least 2 brand-new network devices fail straight out of the box. (One was a router, the other was a network print server.) Both devices would not save the IP address, and so would revert back to the factory settings upon a reboot.

Is the problem that you are able to set the IP address as you want but it fails to survive a reboot? Or is the problem more that you cannot save that particular address?

You might try setting the address to something like 192.168.1.100 to see if it is holding the address through a reboot. If it doesn’t, then take it back and get a new one.

Sorry, I just re-read your post and saw that the address itself was being flagged as invalid. I left my other message there just in case it helps anyone else.

Is it possible that the IP address you are trying to use is already in use somewhere else on the network?

Other than that, I got nothin’.

169.254.xxx.xxx is a fallback address when contact with DHCP fails.

Automatic Private Internet Address is what it is called IIRC.