Cartoon Strip Blondie: is she a D-cup?

I haven’t looked at this strip in years; looking today I said to myself, that’s quite a chest.

So are my eyes deceiving me or is Mrs. Bumstead blessed with D cups? Certainly at least a C cup?

Blondie is at least a D, more likely a double. :wink:

One of the many benefits of breastfeeding. :wink:

(Of course, without the proper, um, support, they tend to go rather drastically southward. Which is why I never understood the appeal of large chests.)

Ah, they’re 1920s style “big tits.”

Yeeeeeeee-ees.

Were they really that big in the twenties? Or did they shift style to match later styles and just sort of stick there? I wasn’t around then, but have always thought of flappers as kinda flat.

I as only for historical reasons.

No see here

The Blondie Story

and especially here (below) for the B cup 1933 Blondie

Blondie

She had a nice, but not va-va-voom shape. At some point

see this strip from 1944 her waist became amazingly small, and this makes her breasts look larger, although the “cups” aren’t as defined here as in the modern strip.

If y’all are really concerned about a comic strip characters bustline…

Y’all have problems you aren’t discussing on the boards.

Here she has morphed into the wasp waisted, torpedo chested Blondie of the 50’s & 60’s (to present).

Comparing her appearance to mine as a girl, I am going to say she is about a 36 G. I think her measurements would be about 42-22-36, possibly smaller on the waist.

The 20s styles did not favor big breasts, but rather boyish figures.
This page has an earlier image of her and she does appear to be closer to a d cup back then,

So the question is, was Dean Young influenced by Ruth Handler, or vice versa?

Blondie has a good shape, but for my money, Daisey Mae from Lil’ Abner is the one to watch! :slight_smile:

This thread is just about as lame as the guys who are discussing how many confirmed times spock has been laid…

but for some reason I can’t look away, damn you SDMB!

Since the Blondie strip pre-dates the invention of the Barbie doll by several decades, I’d say vice-versa, if anything.

Yeah, the strip predates it. But the observable growth in Blondie’s breast seems to have come right around the time that Handler invented Barbie. Was this just a common trend at the time, influenced by Mansfield, Monroe, Turner, etc?

I’d be just as interested in seeing the day that Dean Young “grew” Blondie’s bosom. I’m picturing some schmoe eating his Cornflakes one day and reading the morning paper when his eyes pop out of his head, “Holy Toledo”, he thinks, “Look at the size of the those torpedoes!”

I guess some people’s year end activities have wrapped up sooner than others, that you are reduced to contemplating the bust of a cartoon character until the parties begin tonight. :smiley:

I’ll be in my cubicle, plugging away. Someone get me when we delve into a discussion of Kate Winslet and the many ways she desires me. :cool:

Yes, it was a common trend.

The “ideal” female shape has changed over time. Here is a rough history of the decades preceding Blondie’s metamorphosis: (I refer to astro’s links here)
1890s-1910s–The “Gibson Girl” shape was favored. Tall, athletic but curvy. Fashions emphasized a small waist.
1920s–Boyish and skinny. Busty women often bound their breasts. Fashions de-emphasized the waistline. The early Blondie was a “flapper,” and reflected the ideal.
1930s–Less boyish than the 1920s, but still not overwhelmingly voluptuous. Blondie had a moderate bustline in the 1933 strip.
1940-1945–There were two “ideals.” First, there was the trim figure emphasized by military inspired clothing. Wartime shortages spurred tailored fashions which used less fabric and detailing. The other ideal was the curvy feminine “pin-up,” which appealed to the soldiers and other Americans suffering wartime deprivation. The 1944 Blondie was the pin-up type.
1945-early 1960s–Shortly after the war, Dior introduced the “New Look,” which was all big boobies, tiny waists, and full skirts. Basically, Blondie’s current figure and fashion sense is Dior’s New Look. After the Depression and WWII, the '50s were about prosperity and the Baby Boom. The female ideal was ultra-feminine, very curvy, and very busty, and fashions often used lots of fabric (like the “poodle skirt.”) As ShibbOleth notes, Barbie, Mansfield, and Monroe were icons.

So, Blondie’s figure and fashion sense seems to have followed overall trends of female attractiveness from the '20s through the '50s, but has stayed true to a '50s ideal ever since.

I have no idea what her cup size might be, but I would say that she has a small frame and tiny waist. That and her close-fitting dresses emphasize what she’s got. Also, she has a truly excellent brassiere of the Playtex Cross Your Heart type–it lifts and separates! In contrast, the Wonderbra-type creates a lot of cleavage, but at the expense of protrusion (It squishes everything together and up, so it doesn’t stick out so much.)

Impressionistic view of boobies painted with the artist’s boobies.
One of my Exes was virtually waifish except for her breasts. She was 34-21-34, weighed maybe 100 lbs and half of that appeared to be in her chest. She was a true D cup* but on her tiny frame it looked as though she was about two cups bigger than that. Forced perspective, I guess.

all natural. even considered reduction*
**not on MY watch! :slight_smile:
Hell, if I had had those things, I wouldn’t have ever left the house. I’d just stay in and play with them all day.

[Beavis]
I’d leave the house to go buy a mirror so I can stay home and look at them all day.
[/Beavis]

Photo-cite?

Pleeeeease?