Celebrities Destined For Obscurity

I watch the old 50’s show, “What’s My Line?”, and usually I know the celebrity guests, but often it is someone I have never heard of but they must have been popular due to the audience reaction back then.

It got me to thinking, which big celebrities of today are destined to become obscure footnotes in 10, 15 or 20 years from now. Not celebrities you WISH would go away, but celebrities today who will be unrecognized by your kids and certainly your grandkids.

My guesses:

Paris Hilton – I doubt will have a body of work, so to speak, that would keep her in the limelight.

Carrot Top – once he stops appearing on the occasional talk show, and stops touring his show, he will fade from memory.

**J. Lopez ** – although I actually like some of her films and her music isn’t horrible, I doubt her fame will last once she is no longer fodder for the supermarket rags.

I think it is a safe bet that most, if not all, of the winners of American Idol will be unknown soon, if not already.

Any other nominations?

The casts of pretty much every show currently on the air, but especially The O.C.

Hayden Christensen will be this generation’s Mark Hamill.

I hate to say it, but I suspect Elijah Wood will be forever known as, “That guy - what’s his name - who was in Lord of the Rings”. Which is too bad, because he’s a good actor, but he’s typecast by the role and he has the type of looks that don’t work for leading men.

I disagree. Have you seen Sin City?

I think the Olsen Twins are going to fade into obscurity. If they haven’t already.

Considering that death makes people obscure…

Elijah Wood? No way! He’s 24 and he’s been in at least one movie per year for half his life?

The cast of that 70s show
I’m glad Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze Jr. and their ilk are starting to fade away…

Charlotte Church. What happened to her anyways?

She done some, er, growing up.

Oh, and her new album is coming out sometime next month.

Tara Reid.

Unless she comes through for me (I’ve got her in the Death Pool), in which case I’ll remember her fondly – at least through the end of 2005.

Denise Richards.

I’m not sure about all of the cast of That 70s Show. Topher Grace will probably have a huge career playing “the nice funny guy.”

Ashton Kutcher seems doomed. Most of his following comes from teenaged girls. Same with Justin Timberlake.

Agreed. Topher has excellent comic timing, and I can see him having a career similar to John Cusack’s, playing a string of “nice guys” in comedies and romantic comedies that guys will be able to appreciate when girls drag them out to see them.

Definitely Ashton Kutcher. He can’t make a hit film to save his life and studios will tire of him as quickly as his two fans.

Paris Hilton. She has no talent. She’s conceited and vacuuous. I look forward to the day when talk shows and paparazzi no longer give her a venue. Ditto Nichole Ritchie.

Brittany Murphy - Her 15 minutes is…yup! They’re up!

Sean P. Diddy Kong Puff Daddy Combs - One day his skull is going to tire of housing his massive ego and it’s just going to explode.

J.Lo - The public quickly tires of someone who doesn’t know when to say “no” to their publicist. She’s been in the oven 15 minutes too long and now she’s overdone.

Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson - see J.Lo.

Although quite famous now, I’d say Nicolas Cage will eventually trod the path from relative obscurity to total oblivion.

Among other things, he’s made many movie bombs. (“Windtalkers”, “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin”, “8 mm”, “Gone in 60 Seconds”, “National Treasre”, etc)

What’s that you say? He won a Best Actor Oscar? Sure. So did Paul Scofield. (Who?)

Ben Affleck and Sandra Bullock - their tendency to appear only in bad movies will catch up with them.

Everyone who has every appeared on American Idol (including judges).

Rob Schneider, Jimmy Fallon, and most other SNL alumni.

Andy Dick. See “Carrot Top” in the OP.

National Treasure was a bomb? I thought it did quite well.
I see Paris Hilton as the next Jocelyn Wildenstein, using her money to try to improve on her looks only to become even more frightening looking. So she may get some occasional mention as a freak.
Let’s not forget Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson.

Cage is actually a very good (and versatile) actor, who just doesn’t seem to have the best track record of picking projects. See also Travolta, John and Walken, Christopher.

And National Treasure was a lot of fun. It struck me as a perfect action-adventure movie for Dopers, where the hero beats the villains not by being stronger or tougher, but by being smarter and particularly better-educated.

The entire cast of Friends.

I would say Paul Walker. He’s blandly pretty, but not outstanding. He’s almost a competent actor. He is basically a Ken doll, but makes less of an impression.

Actually, you could probably list the majority of teen actors/ actors who got their starts in teen movies. There are some that grow up to have decent careers, but the majority don’t or won’t.

Adam Sandler

Ashton Kutcher

Pretty much anybody else my kids think are funny. :smiley:

Hilary Duff… not that she’s a megastar now, but I don’t think anyone will remember her five years from now, except for when she finally poses in Playboy and people go, “hey, it’s the Disney chick. She’s hot.” I can’t wait.