ChiDopers: know a good family lawyer?

To make a long story short, and to maintain the confidentiality of all concerned, a friend of mine needs a consultation with a family lawyer, preferably one who has experience with immigration and international child custody issues. So far my co-workers have come up with zilcho. I gave her numbers for the CBA Lawyer Referral Service and Legal Assistance Foundation, but would prefer a personal recommendation. This one could get really ugly, really quickly, and she needs to know her rights and her options.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Are you talking about Cook county? I had a lawyer in DuPage county that was a God. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life, and he got things done for me without any battles. Maybe he can make a recommendation for a Cook county lawyer?

Since this post is in good spirts, and there might be some other folks out there needing an excellent lawyer in DuPage county:

Dale Getty
29 S Webster St
Naperville, IL 60540
Phone: (630) 369-3062

http://www.scnhomes.com/cityguide/dupage/naperville.htm

Thanks, but this is for Chicago proper, and my friend doesn’t drive. But thanks anyway!

I know someone in family law in Chicago. I haven’t spoken to her in quite a while, so I don’t really know what she’s doing, but since I need to e-mail her for my own purposes regarding adoption, I’ll let you know if she can help you or knows someone who can help.

Cool! Gundy, you’re the bestest!

I don’t know whether Legal Aid can help my friend; her family income is probably above the requirements, even if her husband gives her no access to it. She didn’t understand why I thought it was weird that she had no bank account of her own, nor access to their joint one. I don’t even know if she has any finances whatsoever in her own name. He basically gives her an allowance. It’s disgusting; she has to beg for money for baby formula.

P.S. I know for immigration issues, Legal Aid hands out a kickass outside referral list if they don’t take your case, and I’m basically hoping they do the same for family lawyers.

Eva Luna if all else fails, I would give Dale a call. He went to law school in Chicago, and I am sure he knows lawyers in the city.