Christmas Music is Good

So I turn on the radio this morning and hear Jose Feliciano sing Feliz Navidad for the millionth time since Thanksgiving, and I start to think that maybe my husband is right – maybe you can have too much Christmas music and I should give it a rest.

Then I switch channels and hear, back to back, “You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch” and “You ain’t getting diddley-squat, ‘cause you really messed up this year.”

Christmas music is good. :smiley:

(I just love lines like “You have all the charm of a sea-sick crocodile”)

Thurl Ravenscroft was a genius. A total, freaking genius. That bass voice - swoon!

And yet one playing of “Grandma got run over by a Reindeer” brings your whole argument to a crashing halt.

True, but “Some Christmas Music is Good” isn’t as good a thread title.

I’m still groovin’ to the a cappella harmony of “Diddley Squat,” and I had to share.

I’m going to throw this on the sleigh and send it over to Cafe Society.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator

Woulda been funnier if you put in in the pit.

Bah Humbug.
:smiley:

Though I will cop to appreciating two Christmas songs–the Cheech & Chong skit about Santa Claus, and Christmas in Dixie. Also, Thistlehair the Christmas Bear is acceptable once a year, on Christmas Eve, in front of the tree at my parent’s home, and after at least 3 glasses of wine.

I love Christmas music. Sappy Christmas music, lush-strings Christmas music, Trans-Siberian Orchestra/Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music, every-music-star-of-every-music-genre-and-every-generation-one-obligatory-Christmas-album Christmas music…I even like make-fun-of-Christmas-music Christmas music, like “There’s Something In The Chimney” or “The Twelve Pains of Christmas” or “Walkin’ Round in Women’s Underwear” or “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Elvis”…wait, all of those are Bob Rivers, aren’t they?

Somethin’ seriously wrong with that Bob Rivers…

I love to crank up Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas music. Impresses the kiddies.

I love Christmas music, especially unusual/comedy songs (Bob Rivers, etc). Here is a “Porky Pig” style rendition of *Blue Christmas *that is awesomely surreal…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srZwYHzg9V8

I’m with jayjay. I love Christmas music. Well, most of it. I hate the stupid novelty songs like “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” and “I Want A Hippopotamus” and the sappy dreck like “The Christmas Shoes” and “Grown-Up Christmas List.”
I do like “The Marvelous Toy” (is that what it’s called?) and the Chipmunks and the Peanuts stuff, and even Adam Sandler’s Haunakah song.

Traditional songs, Mannheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra - it’s all good.

I was dreading the holidays this year (it’s been a really bad year for me), but listening to the All-Christmas Music radio station while driving to work the last few days has cheered me a little.

It went “zzziipp” when it moved, and “bop” when it stopped, and “brrrrrr” when it stood still…

I like the novelty songs, too. You’ll find me singing about the blue and silver candles that look just like grandma’s wig every time it comes on.

I do kind of feel “meh” about the really schmaltzy/glurgey stuff. I WILL change the radio station when “Christmas Shoes” comes on. Yugh…

Thanks, jayjay. :slight_smile:

I’m fond of Twisted Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Christmas-Bob-Rivers/dp/B000002JLV

I love Christmas music I have to stop myself from playing it early each year so I don’t get burned out. The only ones I don’t like are Christmas Shoes (which I haven’t heard this year), Mary Did You Know (not sure why but it always gets me to change the station) and that Hippo song (Just makes me want to punch that girl). I think the secret is the liberal mixing of anti-Christmas songs so that I don’t get sick of the spirit of love and good will.

I always feel like I’m eavesdropping on gay bar gossip when this song is on (especially if Clay Gaykin is singing it)… “Mary, did you KNOW…?”

“I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas” is supervenusfreak’s favorite Christmas song…I got him a stuffed hippo one year because of it.

I almost learned Flash so I could make him a custom video of it. Then I realized I was too lazy. So he got the stuffed one instead.

I never thought of it that way. Damn it, now I’m gonna have to listen to the song all the way through again but it should at least be good for a laugh.

I used to like Christmas music. Then I worked in the mall for three Christmas seasons in a row. That killed it.

I have a weird love-hate relationship with Christmas music. Every year right after Thanksgiving, I like hearing it, because it’s been 11 months and I’ve missed it. (Not all of it, mind you. No time is a good time for barking jingle bell dogs) But by the second week of December I’m sick of it, and prone to Xmas music related rage.

Really, if it were only played between say, Dec 21st and New Years, people wouldn’t mind it as much. It’s the month long endless repetition that kills it.

try straight no chaser’s version of 12 days of christmas. that is a major hoot. (on youtube)