Chuck Norris - World of Warcraft

/twitch

I might have reflexively hit the screen, but you didn’t color that “link” orange. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure the old republic is taking a bite out of the subscriber base.

Chuck Norris has already won WoW. :smiley:

That’s funny. You’re funny.

Eh. I don’t see why it couldn’t be true. The WoW subscriber base isn’t all 15-year-old boys. I’m in a guild that consists largely of middle-aged parents and grandparents. I’m middle-aged myself (Ouch…that hurt to admit, but 40 is middle-aged, regardless of how much I want to deny it).

There was a burning crusade, but Chuck Norris blew it out.

I’m not saying older folks can’t play video games. But does Chuck Norris strike you as a WoW player? Or even someone who plays video games period?

I don’t have anywhere near enough information about him to tell one way or another. All I really know about him is that he knows martial arts, has fairly odious political views, and has at least a little bit of a sense of humor about himself. Would you expect Vin Diesel to play D&D? He does.

Actually, yes. Vin Diesel has always struck me as a giant nerd in light of interviews he gave when Pitch Black was new. He didn’t just talk about the filming process, but about the worldbuilding for the characters and the creatures. That’s not something your average actor does.

And he doesn’t just play D&D, he also taught Judy Dench how to play.

You shouldn’t assume what nobody is sure of. Mia Rose, for one, doesn’t strike me as a potential WoW player (surely she has better things to do on a sultry summer’s night than play computer games). But she raids as a warlock. There are all kinds of people who are closet gamers.

I think the commercial would have been better if Norris’ pet was this.

Right. They’re trying to get my business. I played WoW from launch up until about two years ago. And Blizzard has been pretty aggressive in trying to lure me back - I’ve lost count of how many “last chances” I’ve had at getting a month’s free subscription for reactivating my account. A commercial that heavily pushes a popular theme from three years ago? That’s a direct shot at my nostalgia button.

Unfortunately for them, the incessant fucking Chuck Norris jokes were one of the reasons I quit WoW in the first place, so this one went pretty wide of its mark. I suppose I should just be grateful that they latched onto the Chuck Norris meme for their commercial, and not the one of adding “Anal” to the front of various class abilities.

Yeah, he “struck” you as a giant nerd because of the interview he gave where he said, “I’m a giant nerd.” I believe jayjay’s point was that, based only on his movies, would you expect Vin Diesel to be a giant nerd? Or more to the point, when you first read that interview, were you surprised that Vin Diesel played D&D? I know I was.

I found out yesterday that my 50+ something boss - a woman who is not outgoing and I would describe as matronly - plays WoW, although very casually.

That was my point. Vin Diesel told the world (over and over and over again) that he’s a giant fucking nerd and that the worldbuilding in The Chronicles of Riddick (nee Pitch Black) series really appealed to him.

Has Chuck Norris ever given an interview like that? No! Therefore, I don’t believe he’s a WoW player.

My position is that I don’t have enough information, therefore I can’t say whether he does play WoW or not.

Your position appears to be that you don’t have enough information, therefore he must not play WoW.

That’s what I heard, too. Something like “I’m right until someone absolutely proves otherwise. And maybe even after that.”

As for me? I played WoW from about 6 months after launch. And still play. And I always thought Chuck Norris facts were the highlight of Barrens Chat. Hell, I’d happily trade an eternity of Chuck Norris for one hour’s freedom from Anal [whatever] spams, [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker], and assorted “you suck” shoutfests in Trade Chat.

Of course, I have that blessed silence by disabling Trade Chat, but whatever.

My thought at seeing the ad was “Cute. A few years late, but cute.” The addition of the Martial Arts stuff in the next expansion pack (Monk class) is probably the driver for a Martial Arts celebrity endorsement, but still…

BTW, Chuck Norris made that commercial because Saurfang the Elder “insisted” he do it.

Armies march, if the august Chuck Norris says they may.

Chuck Norris is High Overlord Saurfang’s Hunter pet. He is tenacity, cunning and ferocity all at once.

“The Osbournes” wrapped up in 2005, a year before you claim the Chuck Norris jokes peaked in WoW chat. And kids aren’t buying his music.

If you hadn’t noticed, Blizzard games are pretty much all about their terrible hackneyed lore now. I’d say this commercial is designed to appeal specifically to their audience.