Those words scrolling at the bottom of a newscast. I always called them the scrawl. Did I just make that up?

Chyron is somewhat of a genericized trademark for title graphics on TV, because they used to come from machines specially made fo the purpose by Chyron Corp. They’re still around and still make broadcast hardware, but these days most motion graphics come from generic PCs with broadcast graphics software.

The generic term I’ve heard is crawl, not scrawl. They’re also called news tickers.

Crawl is horizontal, and usually at the bottom of the screen. Scroll is vertical, like movie credits. Scrawl is my attempt at handwriting.