Claire Huxtable: great mom, MILF, screaming harpy, or what?

I don’t care enough to write a setup. Poll coming in a minute.

Back in the day, I didn’t think she was anything special. I watched it reruns recently and all of a sudden she was breathtakingly beautiful. Her mothering skills seemed on point to me. She seemed like a lot of moms that I knew growing up. (not mine, though).

Exactly what Nzinga said - as an adult I think she’s a scream, and a good mom. And hot. (And the Huxtables are always doin’ it.)

When I watched the show, she was way old, but I bet she’s gotten a lot younger and hotter over the years.

Great mom. A little annoying as a wife.

I always get mad when she won’t let Cliff eat potato chips

Even as a teenager I thought she was good-looking. You know, for her age. :wink:

But I alway thought the hawtest was Sondra. I’d hit that seven ways to Sunday.

I must have been 13 or so when the show premiered, and I always thought she was far, far better looking than Sondra or Denise. Claire was both beautiful and hot; her daughters were merely pretty.

There wasn’t an option for the way I felt about her, which was that she was just really unlikeable.

If there’s a middle ground between **Tom Scud **and **Manduck **regarding Mrs. Huxtable, I’m standing on it.

I didn’t really think Sondra got hot until Real World. But I do remember meeting someone who looked a lot like her, and thinking I was in love.

Anyways, I didn’t notice Clair’s hotness until later, and I think it’s less of a looks thing, and more that she’s quite frisky. I think she’s a good mom, but she does anger too easily. Still, she handles that anger well when it comes to her kids.

Of course, that implies that she doesn’t when it comes to Cliff, and that would make me very wary of becoming friends with her. So I do feel Manduck’s post.

So, Skalde, what do you think makes her so hot?

She was an attactive woman, but her character was often annoying. Every once in a while they would write a rant for her that was just way too tedious.

You missed “Decent mom despite being a shrill, abrasive harpy and not unpleasant to look at.”

She was a little uh, heavy. At least for me. <shrug> each to their own

Now, if she came into my bedroom performing the dance of the seven veils, then I’d invite her in under the sheets. :wink:

But, go out of my way to pick her up at a bar or something? I doubt it.

Are you confusing Sondra, the oldest daughter (played by Sabrina La Bouef) with Denise, the second oldest (played by Lisa Bonet)? Denise/Bonet went on to be the central character in A Different World (not The Real World), at least for its first season.

Huh. I even went and looked it up to make sure I was right on which one was which. I always got them mixed up.

In that case, I never found Sondra hot.

Also way to take the wind out of my subtle snark at Skald.

Dominating inflexible harpy, browbeating her husband into a wincing subservient Igor, his only outlet being the futile pleas for rescue expressed in the tormented abstract ever-changing patterns of his sweaters.

But yeah, she’s a looker.

Heavy? Are you confusing Phylicia Rashād with Nell Carter, or are you just fatty-baiting?

I somehow made it through the 80’s (and years since) without ever watching The Cosby Show, but I can’t find a single photo or clip in which Clair Huxtable looks overweight in the least.

While Phylicia Rashad is pretty, Claire Huxable was a bitch. I never liked her going off on a tangent, and while Julia Sugarbaker’s tangents always made sense to me, I would’ve loved for anyone just to smack her smug face.

Also both Clair and Heathcliff spoiled those kids, but I guess that’s to be expected :slight_smile:

Well, there was the third season, (or maybe it was the fourth) when they were hiding Ms. Rashad’s real-life pregnancy, and her character made reference to having gained weight.

Other than that, she was always quite trim.

I thought her character was a bit over the top at times, especially in some of her later-season berating of Vanessa, but I mostly enjoyed her rants earlier on. Bill Cosby likes to moralize, and he seems to like strong women, so a lot of that wound up in the Clair character.