Clearly, I'm a little nuts, but I'm doing it anyway...

…on January 10th, I am trying out for the local Roller Derby team! :smiley:

God knows I’m probably going to wind up in traction, but what the hell? :stuck_out_tongue: It’s something I always wanted to do and, with the new year approaching, it’s time I get off my ass and do something new and exciting!

With any luck, and very little injury, I will soon be “fresh meat” on the Sintral Florida Derby Demons!

Haha! Not sure now fresh my meat is at 35, but it can’t hurt to try. I need to go buy skates to practice so I don’t make an ass of myself at tryouts.

Feel free to send along any heating pads, back ointments, knee braces, painkillers, muscle relaxers, ace bandages, various linaments and remedies - I have a feeling I’m going to need all I can get!

I’m excited!! This is going to be fun!!:smiley:

Tons of luck and we expect a very cool photo in the SDMB Photo Gallery.

That is soooooo cool. Hope you make it and end up with the most awesome name ever!

My best friend is a Derby Dame. She loves it and, given what I’ve observed of your cool personality here, you will, too.

Here’s a recent Ask the Rollergirl thread. You didn’t post to it, so I don’t know if you’ve seen it.

Might have some useful tidbits or at least an intro to somebody you can talk to.

There’s a Doper here who’s in a roller derby in FL. I’ll message her and see if she wants to weigh in.

Good luck to you. I wish you nothing but the best. And kudos on trying something new and exciting.

Awesome! My best friend from childhood is a Rollergirl and loves it. Start thinking of some kickass names!

Thanks for the link Ender!

Welcome to the wonderful world of derby! I’m a jammer/blocker and the Skater Representative for the training & skills committee with the Tallahassee Rollergirls. I have to say that derby is probably one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself, despite the injuries and the physical challenges.

I just got back on skates after shattering my wrist a couple months ago during practice. I had to have surgery to install a titanium plate and nine screws. The scar is pretty effing awesome :g:

You’ve still got some time before tryouts. I’d highly recommend getting into a fitness regimen now if you’re not already. Walking and jogging are great ways to boost your cardio and strengthen your legs, and as much time as you can get on skates is absolutely vital.

One thing we did in my sushi (that’s what we call our “fresh meat” group) group was the hundred pushups/situps/squats challenges. I would HIGHLY recommend you start working on the squats asap if you want to get a head start.

Here are some links:

I’ve got tons more resources for derby stuff if you’re interested. Please let us know how your tryouts go! And feel free to PM me or email any time :slight_smile:

Look forward to seeing you at Sunshine Skate in April!!!

Oh, and you might want to start thinking about a derby name sooner than later. You don’t get to register your name and number until you hit your 90 days, but there’s such a backlog to get names on the master roster that you should probably have a couple ready to go so you don’t have to wait too much longer. It’s generally been taking 3-4 months after submitting them to get them registered. You can find the master list of names here: International Rollergirls' Master Roster (all flat/banked-track leagues and rollergirl names)

Yay! Thanks everyone for the well-wishes! I think I’m going hit the local rink for a trial run and see how out of practice I actually am! Ha! I’m thinking VERY…

This will also help me get motivated to drop some poundage I think. If it’s fun I’ll do it. Treadmills = abysmal and very un-fun. Roller Derby = FUN! Whee!!

XJETGIRLX, I will be sending you a message soon, I think. As excited as I am just to try out, I do have a TON of questions and would love a little guidance! Thanks for everyone’s support! Hopefully I won’t be posting from the ER next! :slight_smile: