Coldfire called me a fucking idiot! I feel so validated!

At least I know our feelings for each other are mutual.

(link to my explanation, btw.)

It’s amazing to me that a board with the ‘don’t be a jerk’ rule makes it’s biggest jerk a moderator. Go figure.

Link to the thread?

Opal, you explained THAT you called Coldfire a moron, but neither your post nor the linked thread adequately explain WHY.

WTF is going on?

Ah, it’s alright, it’s nearly my bedtime here.

That explains my befuddlement…I think.:cool: (The sunnies are 'cos it’s nighttime and I need to go to sleep)

This is the thread in question.

Huh. I would have thought that the person who compared Holocaust victims to cattle was the biggest jerk:

And your self-serving, condescending bullshit “explaination” is just that. It’s not that I didn’t understand your your point perfectly well, I just think you’re an idiot for trying to make it.

Would you go up to the parent of a murdered child and say “Hey, really. Your kid was murdered and that was repugnant and all, but you kill cockroches all the time and that’s repugnant too, just to a lesser degree.” The linking of the two is vile.

Fenris

Link below. Coldfire’s comments are at the bottom of the second page, but Opal’s own unwarranted assaults on a fellow poster and the world’s most offensive analogy are on the first page.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=113522

Thanks for the links.

Oh drop it. You acted like a asshole many times in that thread, from trying to say what could and couldnt be posted in the thread, to jumping on Darwin’s Finch for asking you a question, for playing the “I don’t like you, so I’m putting you on ignore” card, to the Holocaust analogy.

Why do you have to make everything a drama?

screw Sept. 11…OpalCat’s feelings are hurt, thats the real tragedy.

And, if one reads earlier post in that thread of Opal’s, one finds that she admits to making the comparison, but thinks that anyone offended is an “idiot”:

So. Committing atrocities upon Holocaust victims is “similar” to owning a leather-bound book? And anyone who disagrees is an “idiot”?

Fenris

You want to feel validated , Opal ?
Come on over to my little party, courtesty of somebody we know.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113732

Parking passes are also validated. By being stamped.

I feel so valid .

And all because I don’t like big cities. :confused:

So because he happens to be a moderator, Coldfire isn’t allowed to say if he think’s you’re being a fucking idiot?

It’s really simple. Whether or not I am a moderator on this board (and I’ll have you know that my post to you was certainly not made in my capacity as such), I cannot and will not watch idly whilst someone compares the “moral dilemma” of purchasing old books with leather covers to the moral dilemma of owning a lampshade made out of the skin of a holocaust victim.

If that makes me the “biggest jerk” on these boards, then so be it.

I suppose you’re going to ask for this thread to be closed now, too? Or perhaps it will be interesting to see if there are more “big jerks” disagreeing with you here?

“I feel so validated!”

Well, I’m sure if you didn’t before, you do now.

Oh, you know what would be really funny?
If her “anonymous friends” start calling me a Nazi again, just like last time.

It would be so fitting.

That is one dumb-ass thread… from the naïve premise (do you really think utilizing an animal skin has less impact on your fuzzy little friends than the paper mill that made the pages?) to the astonishingly offensive analogy, to the awkward back-peddling that explained away the analogy as similar concepts but to different degrees. Right. :rolleyes: Why not take what you are being told, including that from the aforementioned moderator, and learn something from this mess.

Gee, I’d like to be validated too. Unfortunately, I’m not actually a fucking idiot.

Y’know, as a lurker-turned-newbie, I always assumed, from the “Hi, Opal” thing, that OpalCat was a much-beloved poster around here.

After reading the vegetarian thread, this rant and the previous debacle Coldfire linked to, I’m left to wonder why.

Confession time:

when I was seventeen or so and more deeply involved in animal rights, I once compared vandalism against McDonalds to vandalism against a Bosnian rape camp.

And then I was surprised when the BBS discussion collapsed in flames.

Thing is, if you accept one version of animal rights – that one mentally competent adult mammal has the same right to life as another – then lots of things DO become morally equivalent.

Be that as it may, pointing these supposed equivalencies out rarely advances a discussion. Instead, it convinces people either that you’re a nutcase or that you’re cynically capitalizing on atrocities to lend weight to your cause.

OpalCat, while I understand where you were coming from with your analogy, I think you’ll find that using such analogies is gonna alienate a huge number of people who read them. If you want to keep people in a reasonable discussion, avoid comparing animal suffering to the Holocaust, even if you believe that such comparisons are valid.

That’s just strategy.
Daniel

Well, at least Opal didn’t ask to have the thead closed two posts after the OP. :smiley: She’s here to FIGHT, ladies and germs.

If Coldifre wins he gets to return to being his normal, Modly self. If Opal wins she gets to return to being her normal, memberly self.

Well this is certainly worth a shitslinging. :rolleyes: