College Football November and early December 2009

Dear NCAA,

Fuck you for picking a case where there was no violation to make a huge stand against lying. I’m sure that bringing the hammer down on somebody who lied about who he was associating with as opposed to someone who lied about getting payment to play will encourage proper behavior in student athletes.

With a red hot porcupine, sideways,
DS

So long Dez, see you in the NFL :frowning:

According to ESPN, Brandon Spikes himself asked that he be taken out for the entire game, so that his team does not get distracted. Pretty classy move, and anyone who says that a game’s suspension is not punishment (especially for a blown-out-of-proportion non-issue) has never played football. A player ALWAYS wants to play.

Actually, I would think the classy move would be to NOT try to gouge out your opponents eyes in the first place. You know, like thousands of football players have managed to do week after week.

Still, Spikes’ move does make Urban Meyer look like even more of a choad, so I’ll give him credit for that.

He lied 3 separate times and he had a lawyer with him. He absolutely deserved to be suspended. Let’s also not forget that the odds are that Sanders was trying to steer him towards his agent.

You are so fucking deluded it’s insulting. Real class act there. Former players in the media have universally crushed this guy and said this action is not acceptable or an unwritten part of the game. You don’t fuck with a guys eyes and you don’t do things that could damage a guy irreparably for the rest of his life. This is about 35 degrees worse than punching a guy in the nuts. Giving him credit for this defies all logic. Ladies and gentleman, the SEC!

I think it’s interesting that in the recent BYU-UNM women’s soccer match where Elizabeth Lambert is seen pulling a girls hair and punching a pair of girl in the back the university stepped in a suspended her indefinitely. None of this reaches the level of eye gouging, yet he gets it for a whole freaking half. It’s an embarrassment.

It seems like the only people upset by the Spikes incident are people who are not involved.

He deserved a suspension, but not a years worth.

What a ridiculous statement. There were two people involved – the gouger and the gougee. The gouger has a decided self-interest not to punish himself too severely, and the gougee has decided to take the high road (that’s the class act you were looking for, Ogre). I guess the rest of the world should shut the hell up or something?

Boise St begs for a credible opponent in 2011.

Some highlights;

Sounds like Fresno State’s “anyone, anywhere, anytime” statement. Unfortunately, no BCS school has anything to gain by playing a good WAC/Mountain West team.

I’m actually surprised that some Big Ten teams won’t take that invitation. The winner of the Big Ten is going to get a BCS bid. Any Big Ten school (except Northwestern/Purdue) has such a large enough fan base that they’re going to get into a bowl game if they’re bowl eligible.

I’m also surprised teams like Arizona/Arizona State won’t invite Boise to play in the desert in early September. Neither school usually sells out games, especially non conference games. Having Boise come to play in the desert heat would work to Boise’s disadvantage.

Apparently the offer is for a specific date, Sept 3, 2011. Given that many games are scheduled years in advance, some teams may not have this date available.

Apparently Nebraska does, and that would be a fantastic matchup. Nebraska is not the program it was in the 80’s and 90’s and they need a return to glory.

Speaking of Nebraska, how much more “under the radar” can the Oklahoma/Nebraska game possibly get? I didn’t realize it was being played today until I saw the top 25 scoreboard. It used to be one of the “can’t miss games of the year”.

Since the Big XII split Oklahoma and Nebraska into different divisions, they don’t play every year, which is unfortunate.

The SEC kept some annual key rivalries even though the teams are in separate divisions. Bama/Tn, UGA/Aub, and LSU/UF are played every year. Of course, some of the annual rivalries were lost like UF/Aub and UF/Bama and Ole Miss/Tenn and UGA/Ole Miss.

I guess it helped that the two teams the SEC added were put into separate division (Ark, South Carolina) and when the Big 8 expanded into 12 teams, it added 4 teams from Texas.

I wonder if the Big XII has considered changing the divisions up, with no geographical bias? Especially since the better teams have in the South division for the last several years.

Oklahoma, Nebraska, Okie State, Kansas, Baylor, K-State,
Texas, Texas A/M, Missouri, Iowa St, Texas Tech, Colorado.

Year end year out, the divisions would seem to be pretty equal.

Interdivision rivalries played every year would be:

OU-UT
UM-KU
BU-ISU
OSU-TTU
Neb-Colo
A/M-KState

Take a fucking pill.

Looks like a lot of empty seats at Stanford today. Do Stanford students not get free or very low priced tickets? I know the academics at Stanford are tough, but if I was a student there, I’d try to take a few hours out of my day to go see this game.

Iowa’s Guardian Angel must have taken the week off. They forgot to fall behind early.

How restless are the natives in Ann Arbor?

Omni is apparently a Big 10 fan and is sick of the SEC (and other conferences) putting a smackdown on the better teams in the Big 10.

Last week, I had the audacity to call the Mich/Ill game a snoozefest (before the game I might add) and he took major umbrage to it. The matchup was two bottom-feeders in one of the weaker BCS conferences and frankly ABC dropped the ball when their feature afternoon was this one.

Navy harpoons a big whale in South Bend. Notre dame has to fire Weis after this loss, don;t they. ND had a forty something game winning streak against Navy until a couple of years ago. And now Shamu has lost to the Middies twice at home.

Yes Notre Dame have lost three close games and could be undefeated, but they have also won 4 close games so their record could just as easily be 2-7.

They have travel to a very good Pittsburgh team next week.

strange day in the Big XII. Baylor beats Mizzou, Colorado beats A/M and K-State beat KU, and Nebraska is beating OU.

Very restless. There will be pressure to jettison Rich Rod. I think they have shown lots of improvement from last year. They have a fun offense. The defense is needy. Michigan usually honors coaches contracts. But he has a problem hanging over his head with the training violations. that might give them an excuse if they want to use it.

Hilarious. Go Midshipmen! And #5 UC holds on in a squeaker against a good UCONN team. Whew.