Comfort food.

When you’re down, and troubled, and you need some loving care…what do you cook (or just eat) to make yourself feel better?

I make soup. Preferably a thick and hearty lentil or minestrone or something that takes ages to cook and tastes like heaven.

If they could invent a chocolate soup however…

Toasted vegemite and cheese sandwiches. Food of the gods.

Please don’t tell me you put Kraft Cheddar on those sangers. :smiley:

Soup is mine, too. I like a nice tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, or occasionally, I’ll make potato soup. In all honesty, though, the real comfort is that when my sweetie recognizes I’m feeling blue or ill, he’ll make it for me.

My favourite is Mainland Tasty. :slight_smile:

French fries with gravy, or

French fries with cheese, or

French fries with chili and cheese and onions.

Basically, potatoes, grease and salt must be consumed.

Ramen noodles. I’ve been thinking for like fifteen years I’d outgrow this, but alas, I get blue, I eat a big bowl of warm mushy starch.

When I want comfort food, i want something quick and easy to make.

Bacon sandwiches
Pasta with black pepper, butter and cheese
Heinz tomato soup and white bread soldiers with butter

Failing that…a big bar of chocolate

Whoa, back the truck up.

What are “white bread soldiers”?

And what do you put on your bacon sandwiches besides bacon? Just bacon?

White bread soldiers are just slices of white bread cut into strips, toasted or not.

One of the best things is toast soldiers and boiled eggs – cut two slices of buttered toast into four strips [or “soldiers”] each, slice the tops off of two soft boiled eggs, dip, eat, repeat.

Yumyumyum.

Macaroni & cheese. Not the cheap stuff either. The “good” stuff, the Kraft brand that comes with the cheese packet you squeeze onto the macaroni.

Better yet, mac & cheese & ground beef.

Betterer yet, mac & cheese & ground beef & onion & hot pepper. I try my best to eat the whole thing, too.

My favorite comfort food is a concoction called Bagna Calda. I only make it for major holidays and when I feel really down.

A pot of pinto beans and corn bread. Or pot roast. Or my husband’s french toast.

Yep, strips of buttered white bread.
I put either Ketchup, HP brown sauce or ( I know you’ll think this is gross) Orange marmelade, depending on my mood.

I think “white bread soldiers”, Weisbrotsoldaten, in German, also meant the conscripts from the last days of the 3rd Reich. They were said to be so physically frail that they couldn’t digest dark or rye bread like regular Germans.

Spooning peanut butter out of the jar, accompanied by a tall glass of cold milk.

I have 2 basic comfort meals .

#1 is fried chicken and homemade macaroni & cheese . Not the boxed stuff , real , cassarole-dish-baked-in-the-oven-till-it’s-crispy-on-top mac & cheese . MMMMMMMMM… food of the gods .

#2 is minute steaks , coated in seasoned flour & fried , mashed taters , corn & greed beans . On top of the taters . Yup , the corn & green beans MUST be mixed in wth the taters , or it’s not nearly as comforting .

Sidetrack:

Where did this silly name come from?

Creamy homemade mashed potatoes. Crispy fried potatoes with lots of salt and pepper, and maybe ketchup on the side. Baked potatoes with sour cream and lots of black pepper. Au gratin potatoes. French fries. Those lovely potatoes that cook alongside the roast, and come out of the oven all golden. Boiled little red potatoes, with butter and parsley. Hash browns, sort of soft and crispy at the same time. Tater tots. I could go on…

(Atkins? What’s that? I’d flunk out of that the first day. :stuck_out_tongue: )

My comfort food is butter chicken with naan. I eat it while it’s cooking, then get out the naan and start dipping into the sauce.