Comic book movies you'd make...

Know what? I bet V for Vendetta could be rather easily made into a film. Whether they could actually pack all the thematic content into 2 hours is another question.

I’d like to see High Society as a movie with a small nod towards Cerebus’s barbarian origin leading up to him becoming the kitchen supervisor, going through the elections. Drop in a few characters which would end up mangling the story a bit but at least make people not go “WHAAA” when they see Red Sophia wake up next to him at the beginning of Church and State.
The comic references like Wolverroach and Secret Sacred Wars should be changed to become movie parodies instead of comic book parodies so not to make the general viewing audience feel left out because they didn’t slavishly follow Marvel comics in the eighties.
Everything ends with Cerebus on the moon with The Judge and the final pronouncement of Cerebus’s fate.
It should stop there.

Or at least make Jaka’s Story into a stand-alone movie.

The only problems would be intellectual copyright issues like the Marx family wanting a piece of the pie for the use of Groucho and Chico and of course the movie references. It could be animated but that would only serve to relegate this movie into a kid’s movie in the eyes of the masses since adults never watch animation and animation never has a valid story or anything meaningful to present to its audience of ‘erudite’ adults.

[i[Preacher* was a brilliant series. It already has a cinematic pace, but I can’t imagine hollywood could cope with the length and extreme content.

I think the The Dark Knight Returns could work. It would require a Producer/Director who had the guts to present Batman as more of an anti-hero. The generic “good guy” they have produced so far has been awful.

I’d like to see an X-Men:Apocalypse movie. You guys remember that? It was the alternate reality X-Men where Magneto was good, Dr. X was dead and a bunch of the “good guys” were bad?

That would ROCK! Especially if they use the actors from the current 2 X-Men movies.

I wish I still had those comics. They may be worth something by now.

Ah, the “Age of Apocalypse” crossover. It’s one of my fave’s. Thing is, if you were to use the current X-Men cast in a hypothetical AoA X-Men movie, Anna Paquin’s character would be married to, and have a son by, Sir Ian McKellan’s character.
:eek:

I don’t know if the moviegoing public would be ready for that.

:eek:
I forgot about that!

Well hey, its the 2Ks, I think it will go down OK!

I’ve been waiting years for them to make a version of Reid Fleming - World’s Toughest Milkman. Apparently at one point in the '80’s Dave Thomas bought the rights to it, but from what I heard, there were some difficulties with the studio. They wanted Reid to have a secret heart of gold… never could happen.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Sean Connery as Allan Quartermain.

Not a chance, dude.

Speaking of impossible projects, I recently picked up the latest issue of Kurt Busiek’s Astro City! Woop! Woop!

–Well, anyway…I’d film this series as a street-level view of superpowered life, probably centered around the “Tarnished Angel” storyline, but throwing in a lot of nods to the other characters that populate the book. Sadly, Robert Mitchum is no longer available to portray Steeljack, but it’s my fantasy, dammit, and I say he stars!

Hey, it could work, so long as they don’t have a bunch of 1890’s characters riding around in a convertible.

On the Watchmen front: I, my self, tend to go back and forth on whether ths is even possible to do, let alone to do well. On even days, I tend to remember how integral Dave Gibbons’ detail work was to the plot, and how Moore’s exploration of the sequentail art medium binds the whole thing into a package of unparalleled genius. On odd days, I tend to consider that an ultra-realistic take on it, complete with realistically out-of-place costumes and authentic grime, could possibly capture exactly what Moore and Gibbons were doing in the first place.

Either way, i couldn’t possibly support a production that didn’t find some way to compensate the actual creators of the original work, DC be damned.

Marvel:
X-Men “Days of Future Past” where all the mutants are either dead or in prison camps…
DC:
Kingdom Come

Emerald Twilight: where GL Hal Jordon goes nuts and kills off every other GL he can find and takes their rings in order to generate enough power to resurrect Coast City after the Reign of the Supermen saga. With the right actor, this could be a highly charged emotional roller coaster.

The Fantastic Four.

'Nuff said.

I second the Fantastic Four. Though never my favorite heroes, it’d be a movie with Dr. Doom and that can’t be all bad.

Call me lame, but I (though my wallet sure didn’t) loved the whole Inifinity Gauntlet saga and always thought it’d make a killer movie.

So much ground to cover and so many characters involved though. It’d be a nightmare adapt I suppose.

But it’d have Thanos! And the Silver Surfer! And Dr. Strange! And of course… the comedic brilliance of Pip.

PREACHER!
PREACHER!
PREACHER!

Apparently you haven’t seen the Roger Corman FF movie. It CAN be all bad.

“Gotham by Gaslight” might be kind of fun. And I second “Iron Man.”

…Or a romantic comedy featuring Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn, but that would probably make a lot of people’s heads explode. For various reasons.

Oooooh, Gotham by Gaslight would be a great choice. The only thing I worry about is people getting confused about Batman being in 19th Century London. I dig the Elseworlds concept completely (which GbG started, IIRC), but others might get flummoxed by the idea.

They’d probably have to invent some cheesy time-travel explanation or something. :rolleyes:

Hellblazer, hands down. I’ve written the screenplay in my head about a hundred different ways. But it’d probably be better just to film the Dangerous Habits storyline, which was brilliant.

Hellboy is already being made, apparently, so it remains to be seen how that turns out. I’m remaining cautiously optimistic.

I’d second the vote for Legion of Super-Heroes, but I’d pick the first Giffen-Birmbaum series, which is the least favorite of “real” LSH fans. (And the movie would probably be advertised as LSH, which would be annoying.) Now that I think of it, though, I’d probably prefer that as a “Smallville”-type TV series. Seems like a natural, although it’d be wicked expensive.

I’m always surprised that they haven’t made a Sandman movie yet. If they were to make one, I’d vote for the storyline where Lucifer abandons Hell and all the dead walk the earth.

It took two days for my eyes to stop bleeding from that one.

Anyone read the comic book sequel to the Predator movie? It involved Dutch’s BIG brother, who was an NYPD cop and the Predators coming to New York and it was MUCH superior to the Predator 2 movie with Danny Glover. Would have liked to have seen it made into a movie.