Command and Conquer: Generals

Does anybody play this game? I bought it the other day because the demo in the store looked pertty cool. I brought it home and have been playing it for a day or so, solo missions only, and I have some questions.

First of all, I didn’t realize that C&C was basically Warcraft/Starcraft set in modern times. Ehh, I can live with that, I never got into Warcraft that much, but I have enjoyed Starcraft quite a bit, so that’s OK. I do have some issues, though.

[ul]
[li]Game loading speed. Is this just me, or does this game take FOREVER to load? I thought it was my 'puter, which just meets the minimum requirements listed, but when I tried it on my 2.5 GhZ laptop, it was just as slow.[/li]
[li]Those in game videos are annoying, is there anyway to turn them off? They also take a long time introducing each segment and what not, I want to play![/li]
[li]Speaking of game segments or missions, are there just a couple of scenerios that I’ve found for the USA to play (haven’t tried China or GLA yet). Is that all they have? Starcraft had 30 single player scenerion for you to play. Or are they in…[/li]
[li]The skirmishes section? These seemed to be pre-made scenerios, so I thought I’d try one. I set myself to be the USA, my opponent to be a random normal army, and started to play. I got a command center and a bulldozer to start, I built another dozer, started building a power plant, when the second dozer was finished I started it on a barracks. The first dozer finished the power plant, and so I sent it to build…all my buildings and dozers abruptly blew up. WTF??? I tried it again. Same result. What is going on here, does anyone know? Keep in mind that I wasn’t attacked by the enemy, I just blew up. What happened?[/li]
[li]Finally, is it just me, or is this game very v e r y sssssllllllloooooowwwww…I realize that some time is needed to accurately portray unit movement, but often I find myself just waiting a couple of minutes for the units to do what I tell them to do. It’s boring.[/li][/ul]

Does anyone have any tips, answers to the questions above or advice for me about this game? It looks like it COULD be a fun game, I’d like to enjoy it. Thank you very much

[QUOTE=Weirddave]

[li]The skirmishes section? These seemed to be pre-made scenerios, so I thought I’d try one. I set myself to be the USA, my opponent to be a random normal army, and started to play. I got a command center and a bulldozer to start, I built another dozer, started building a power plant, when the second dozer was finished I started it on a barracks. The first dozer finished the power plant, and so I sent it to build…all my buildings and dozers abruptly blew up. WTF??? I tried it again. Same result. What is going on here, does anyone know? Keep in mind that I wasn’t attacked by the enemy, I just blew up. What happened?[/li][/QUOTE]

This is Command and Conquer’s copy protection. If you have somehow installed improperly (for example, if you used a registration key that you found online, or didn’t enter the one from the CD case properly) then you will only be able to play through a few minutes of gametime. I suggest uninstalling and re-installing, and making absolutely sure that you enter the code correctly from the CD case, and that you’re not using one from any other source, since that’s illegal.

Also, before you reinstall, use Windows’ DEFRAG utility to defragment your hard drive. This should help the installer put all the files next to each other on the hard drive’s platters, which in turn will speed up your hard drive’s access time. That and RAM are two of the major bottlenecks when playing a real-time strategy (RTS) game.

Re: the copy protection thingy. Do you suppose it’s because I haven’t registered it online yet? I was temporarily offline when I installed it, I wonder if that’s it.

Well, I also have this game and, for the most part, enojy it, however I also share some complaints.

1. There should be several single player missions for all three factions. There are the campaign missions, scenarios, and them skirmishes. The campaign ones are the story missions, Ive just started, but I’m on the fifth or sixth one, and ceratinly seems like there are plenty more to come.

2. The cut scenes/in-game videos. God are those annoying. When you do a mission for the first time it’s helpful to get an idea of what’s going on, but the fact that when you have to replay a mission you can’t skip it is annoying. I know that when you see the reporter the mission is loading, so that could never be skipped, but the fact that the small intro videos (usually of planes or helicopters bombing something) can’t be skipped annoys the Hell out of me. Do what I do, as soon as you start a mission, save. Then, if you fail, just load the game, much quicker.

3. The slowness. Try turning down your video settings. The game will go much faster if it doesn’t have to render every shadow of every tree as it’s getting moved by the rendered wind.

When I upgraded up graphics card from a GeForce2MX to a Radeon 9600, I got a huge boost in framerate. What’s your graphics card for your laptop?

It’s got some fairly interesting missions in singleplayer, but the shoddy AI rears its ugly head during skirmishes. Path finding is shocking too, especially with a mixture of tanks and infantry. I do like that fact that no base strategy is inpenerable; the air/artillery strikes and superweapons makes for an interesting game. Oh, and get C&C: Zero Hour - it’s worth while just for the general challenges.

Those challenges are freakin’ hard! (For me, anyways.) I think part of it is that your opponant starts with a full base and units, while you start with a bulldozer and command center. The attacks start before I even have time to build adequate defenses!

Skirmish mode is basically multiplayer mode, but you play against the computer instead of a person.

I’d suggest turning down the video options, or getting a better video card. It ran fine for me with an Athlon XP 2500+ and Geforce FX 5200.

Chalk me up as another person who hates the damnable FMV that you can’t skip. I hat to replay the USA “Dam” level like 7 times and each time… that damn FMV clip.

Any of you have as much trouble on that mission as I did? When I finally finished it it was a long drawn out painful Rambo-esque moment. I’ll share if anyone wants me to.

Um, about the unskippable FMV sequences, all you have to do is save the game right after the video ends.

A video card upgrade will definitely help speed things up. I started playing Generals with an onboard 64 MB card with barely acceptable framerate at crippled settings, but after upgrading to a Radeon 9800 Pro everything is maxed out and runs slick and fast.

It is a fun game. If you get online sometime, give a holler, because that’s where its real strength is, IMO.

If you go to the C&C site there are some hacks to kill the FMVs at startup. While it definitely is an RTS, it’s not like Warcraft. I can’t stand WC but I love CC:G. To me, it’s the most strategic of the RTSs. I love the all or nothing resource control which really focuses the game. While Rise of Nations is much more in depth, Generals always seems to be more interesting. I would also recommend the add-on, C&C: Generals Zero Hour. You get alot more missions, and units, but you also get Generals with a specialty and you can fight every general against every other general so the replay value is limitless.

I also think it’s a superior game for all the reason you cited, but massive performance issues and no online service just kills its sustainability. For any kind of long term play, I’ll still settle for dumbed down gameplay, poor balance, lack of debt and predictable strategies in WC3 TFT, as long as they give me battle.net, a framerate that never even stutters (even in 12 player FFA) and not a single crash or lockup, even if I TRY.

There’s been a lot of games in the last few years, which could have been successful to Starcraft proportions, if only they were well made. Damn shame :frowning:

There is online play and it’s even free. I get my ass kicked there lots, but I stil play it.

I had crazy performance issues when I got it, but I got a new video card and some more RAM and now it flys! It is pretty graphic intensive, but once you get the hardware to run it it is so much fun!

Get the Zero Hour expansion. It is awesome.

What do you use when you absolutly, positively have to kill ever MotherF@#$er in the base? MOAB!

Same here. I loved the original C&C and Red Alert 1/2, but never got into Warcraft.

What really bothered me about Warcraft was that both sides were virtually the same. Every human unit had an equivalent orc unit. C&C and RA had two vastly different sides, and Generals has three vastly different sides, but they’re still balanced.