Comp Q : I try to type quotation marks, but they don't appear until i hit space?

Ok this is almost certainly a VERY simple question…

On most of the computers I use i just hold shift, and press a button and i get a (") displayed.
However since i’ve started using my new Asus laptop loaded with Windows Vista I hold shift, press the button with the (") on it, and nothing happens until i press another key, THEN the (") appears and i continue typing.
It also doesnt “close” the inverted commas when i want to, which requires me to go though a routine of pressing 3 or 4 buttons before i get what i want.

Does this make any sense to anyone and is there a way to fix it?

(P.s If you can, please put things in as simple terms as possible!)

Does this happen in all applications? (Try typing a quote mark into the google search box, for example.)

I am running a Vista machine, and I don’t have this happen at all on mine.

Sounds like you have the international keyboard turned on. Go to How to use the United States-International keyboard layout in Windows 7, in Windows Vista, and in Windows XP - Microsoft Support and follow the instructions—except, obviously, when it tells you to choose “United States - International” choose the plain one, which is, as I recall, “US”, and get rid of the International one.

I agree with BorgHunter, as I intentionally use this keyboard setting for typing alternate characters. These are called “dead keys”. If you must also use space to type ^ ’ or ~, this is definitely the issue.