Computer problem: Why can't I open javascript windows?

So I was browsing the internet at work today and I make a comment on my friends blog. It’s one of those blogs that, when you want to make a comment, you click a link that (unsurprisingly) reads ‘Comment’, and then a little comment window opens up. In this window are several fields. There’s one for your screen name, one for your e-mail address, and one for your website (if you have one). Then there’s a little field below into which you type your message.

So I type my message, preview it and post it. It shows up on the site underneath all the other comments immediately.

A few hours later I log on at home and decide to check the blog to see if anyone has responded to my post. Unfortunately, when I click the ‘Comment’ link absolutely nothing happens.

The same thing happens on other sites. For example, I can’t play any of the games on www.newgrounds.com on my home computer because none of the links to the games work. Yet every other computer I use is fine.

I think the reason for this is because my home computer doesn’t understand the javascript command to open up the new comments window (newgrounds games always open up in a new screen as well, probably using the same principle). With specific reference to my friend’s blog, I know that the computer is aware that I’m trying to access the ‘Comments’ section because whenever I click the ‘Comments’ link I see this:

in the address bar at the bottom of my browser (which, by the way is Internet Explorer - I don’t know which version).

So, is there any way that I can fix this problem? Is there anything I need to enable or disable in order to get my computer to act like every other computer I use and open these bloody comments windows?

Any and all help is gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

From IE, Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level, and check that “Active Scripting” (near the bottom of the list) is set to “Enable” or “Prompt”.

I think it’s much more likely to be a problem with your browser than with your computer more generally. Try Tevildo’s suggestion and see what happens.

If that doesn’t work, maybe you could try downloading and installing Firefox or Opera and see if they work?

I had a problem with IE a couple of years ago where i couldn’t open a new window, and where javascript pop-up windows contained no information. It was a real pain in the ass, and only a repair installation of Windows fixed it.

Here is the thread i started about it, and here is the MS help page about that particular problem.

It’s no clear to me that you have this particular problem, but if Tevildo’s suggestion doesn’t work you might look into it.

Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions. I’ve checked my permissions and Active Scripting was already enabled, so I guess the problem resides with the browser. I’ll download Firefox and see if that makes any difference.