Contributions to the George Angehr (Colibri) Memorial Fund are now being accepted

It doesn’t show up in the copy/paste above, but the signature line in her email includes a colorful version of their logo:

I wish my work signature was that cool!

Yeah, my agency’s logo is boring.

I don’t even know what that thing is. A sand worm from Dune about to swallow someone?

I tried to post the logo but the URL redirected to a general gmail :frowning:

I got the email this weekend…the online card is impressive!

Aw, I wasn’t aware he’d passed. He was a good egg. You folks are the best for doing something so meaningful in his memory.

Esprix

I’ve just heard from Kate, the major gifts officer at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI), who has returned from maternity leave. (She and the baby are doing fine.) She informs me that SDMB members have contributed $5,700 to the George Angehr Memorial Fund, accounting for 60% of the total. George’s family, colleagues and friends have also made contributions, so now the total of the fund is nearly $10,000. George, a longtime SDMB moderator known on this board as Colibri, was a distinguished ornithologist who spent his career as a research fellow at the STRI in Panama. The fund will provide one or more short-term fellowships for master’s or doctoral candidates doing fieldwork at STRI.

Kate writes:

“I look forward to sharing the fellow(s) who will eventually be supported by your generosity. Please know that the STRI community—and especially George’s family—are so grateful for the outpouring of support and gifts made in George’s memory.”

The staff and I are likewise grateful to all contributors for this fitting tribute to a cherished member of the community. You’ve done us all proud.

Wonderful, Ed — thanks for the update.

Aww, that’s awesome!! :slight_smile:

Missed this the first time around, but they are still accepting donations.

Wow. Fantastic. This board as a group actually made a mark for good Out There in the Real World. One for the books.