Cosmetics Q for teenage girls

Those of you in high school right now: are you and your peers more likely to use lipstick or lip gloss (story research; trying to make this thing as 2003-specific as possible)? Thanks in advance!

i think it’s character specific.

besides, highschool students can be 14-18. Wide range.

get more specific on who you are talking about.

is she a flirt?

Lip gloss.

I think.

Yup! (I just verified with my teenage-too-cool-for-words little sister)

lipgloss.
or at least that’s what the 14 y/o sister asked me to buy her for xmas.

My 17 y/o wear lip gloss. I don’t think she owns a lipstick.

Rilchiam…you might get excellent results posting this over at the forums at SheroesCentral. It’s mostly populated by teenage girls (though there are a few older ones - I’m one, and I act as a “voice of reason” over there"…don’t ask how I ended up there, really).
Or, if you want, I can post your question and give you a link to the thread so you can see it. Let me know.

The character is in 8th grade. She’s not part of the “in” crowd, so using stick instead of gloss would be something to set her apart.

Lsura, that would be much appreciated!

Here ya go
Hopefully you’ll get the info you need. :slight_smile:

Since I was 14, I’ve used lipstick, lip gloss, glossy lipsticks, matte lipsticks, lip balm, etc. on a steady basis, depending on what kind of setting I’m in, and I was part of the in crowd (I don’t know if that’s relevant or not). But then again, I’ve been doing make-up professionally (read: for money, not like a certified MAC artist or anything) since I was that age and knew more about it than the average girl. For today’s eighth grader, I would suggest lip gloss. It’s less drastic looking than most lipsticks, cuter, and seems to be the choice of the general young teen consensus as best lip product.

My 13-year-old sister wears lip gloss, which seems to be all the rage.

Actually, stick would set her apart more than anything else. Almost everyone I know wears gloss or nothing at all. I’m a strictly lip balm girl, myself.

Thanks, all!

I’m 17 and I only wear lip gloss. I asked a freshman in my art class what she wears and she said “I only wear lip gloss because guys don’t like to make out with girls with lipstick on…they say it tastes like crap.” I weep for today’s youth.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of my students use a lipstick. They seem to prefer a lipgloss/eyeliner combo

I use lipstick and then I apply a coat of gloss for good measure. In 8th grade, I just used chapstick. The Dr. Pepper Smackers was my favorite.

Well, I’m gonna have my character wear lipstick. And for emphasis, I’ll have her boyfriend say (unprompted), “I’m glad you don’t wear lip gloss; I don’t wanna kiss an oil slick, even if it is strawberry-mango-kiwi-French vanilla flavored!”

LipGLOSS. Lipstick makes me look whoreish.

I was class of '99, and I wore lipstick. Also lip liner, concealer, foundation, powder, eye shadow, eye liner, and mascara. I wasn’t part of the in-crowd, I just had pimples that I was desperate to cover. I was pretty good at it, too.

Now I have three kids and I’m lucky if I have time to shower.

Definitely its lip gloss around here. No one wears lipstick–it’s too much, I think.

Tinted gloss is the way to go. It gives you a little bit of delicate colour. You can apply and re-apply often without having it cake, you can put it on without a mirror, and you don’t have to worry too much about the shade because it’s so sheer, it can’t possibly make you look whorish/overly pale (think Geisha). All of this is great, especially if you’re on the go all day.