Could you write an explosive "Tell All" book about a previous (or current) job?

Now certainly most of us have jobs that are not truly “book-worthy” and no one would probably care about the nefarious and behind-the scenes shocking secrets of the local Mini-Mart…still I wonder…

Could you write such a book about a former or current job…even if the job was/is trivial in the Grand Scheme? And if the answer is “Yes”, what might some of the Chapter Titles be…?
Example:

My **What Really Happened… **might, in theory, include:

Chap. VI: A Sex Scandal Cover-Up
Chap. XI: Creative Accounting
Chap. XII: When is a Sale Not A Sale?

What’s in Your Book?

Hmm. Well, this might be a common practice, but at a previous law firm, hours of work done by a paralegal or a secretary was often “claimed” by a partner to be done by him. Thus, when the bill went to the client, the client thought they were paying $400 an hour for his practice of law, but in reality, it was a plain ol’ legal assistant who drew up their will or formed their corporation. Had I been the client, I would have been righteously pissed.

Yes. I used to be a QC microbiologist for a pharmaceutical manufacturer. However, I signed a secrecy agreement, so I would run into legal trouble if I did write the book. I avoid medicine if at all possible.

OH HELL YES.

1. The advertising manager knew that ad was bogus, but accepted it anyway because it’s the end of the month and she was figuring revenue.
  2. Why are you not surprised to learn that a newspaper has a deadline, but totally amazed to learn that you missed it?
  3. I’m sorry your paper was wet this morning. But please don’t take it out on me when you cut my hair. I’m not your carrier.
  4. You have information about a story, call us. You want to rat out your neighbor for letting his dog poop in your yard, call the cops.
  5. I’m sorry she told you that would be in today’s paper. The attack on the World Trade Center took precedence. You know, the World . . . Trade? We’ll print your grandson’s picture some other time.

And more!

Working in real estate. OH YEAH! The things I’ve seen people do that they think they can get away with.

Nah.

Noone’s interested in hearing my work stories.

Chapter IV: The Truth vs What The Customer Wants To Hear…?

Chapter XIII: But Doesn’t that Product Lack Integrity?

Chapter XIX: What the Staff Doesn’t Know Won’t Hurt Them…

At the grocery store I used to work at, at the end of the day the manager would take the “Smart Source” coupons out of the newpaper, cut them, and put them into the coupon bin. That’s right, claim coupons that were never used by customers.

I could do one about the summer camp I worked at. I would be able to truthfully include both lesbian love affairs (drunken sex counts as love…right?) and drug abuse (with a bonus DIY section on how to use self hardening clay to make a pipe shaped like a vagina).

Unfortunately, I really love the summer camp industry, so I probably wouldn’t do something like write a book that would discourage parents from sending their kids to camp.

I could totally write an explosive book about a previous job.

I used to work for a company that did explosives testing for the government and its contractors, including rocket sled and weapons tests, terrorist blast mitigation, protective barriers.

Yes. Mainly that my former employer sold clients inflated promises of services which it had no manpower or plan to implement. It would add client after client and not add any additional employees to handle the work, so much of it just went undone, or was done in a shoddy, half-assed manner. The company’s president knew that she didn’t have enough staff to fulfill the promised services, but promoted and sold the services anyway. I found it to be very disturbing talking to these new clients who thought they would be getting all these wonderful things, but little did they know they just got swindled, basically.

Education is, in some ways, bound by the privacy meant to protect the children. A lot of people, and a lot of people’s shit, gets to hide behind that.

One of the school board members in the district where I teach was just arrested for punching out windows at 2am, shirtless, sweaty, and high on meth and pot. He charged officers and had to be tazed. Is he stepping down? Nooooooo, of course not. :rolleyes:

I posted an expository forum thread about one of my previous jobs the night I left it. I was working for an MMORPG, and the new owners were doing their best to take advantage of the players. I explained everything, all the dirty laundry- including how the game was going to be shut down (and yet they were still accepting year-long prepayments), and how the supposed Denial of Service attack was a lie to cover their own incompetence in getting a server up.

Supposedly the owner of the company wanted to sue me as a result, but I’d never signed anything agreeing to keep anything secret. Besides, everything I said was true- I was very careful in my wording.

As I’d predicted, the owner of the company had the post yanked from the thread… but the very first paragraph I wrote told everyone to “copy and paste” so it wasn’t too long before all of the players knew what was going on.

My ex-boss (who was just as unhappy as I had been) called me up while I was in the process of moving and left a message saying, “Dude, you fuckin’ rock!”

As a result, the company couldn’t kill the game (otherwise, they’d be clearly committing fraud), and it’s still going to this day (having been bought back from the company by my ex-coworkers). The owner of the evil company? Last I heard, he’d been indicted for embezzlement, and his company went out of business.

I am sure many restaurant workers could tell stories that would curdle the blood of their patrons.

I saw food dropped, picked up and served. I saw the smell test: (Do you think this is still good, it’s been in that refrigerator a long time. Sniff Sniff. Oh Why not?). I know of supposedly fresh lasagna that actually came from a cube that had been in the freezer for months (who has time for rotation?) and meals prepared by chefs so drunk they (the chefs) had to be propped up to work. And this was just my first teenage dishwasher job.

I actually considered writing one at one point. But after over two years of litigation and discovering that the jackass running the operation was (a) broke and (b) capable of coming up with a lot of money for lawyers and nuisance suits (those don’t really seem to go together, do they?), I went ahead and signed the settlement and ended it.

Chapters would include:

1. Shipping empty boxes to claim revenue for the quarter

2. Falsifying financials and “leaking” them to a stock analyst

3. Violating contracts

4. Lying to employees and partners

5. Hiding assets

6. Selling off a subsidiary for less than its value and making up the difference with a “consulting contract” for the guy who negotiated the deal

7. Stealing from employees

Every now and then I get tempted to write all that stuff down–just for me–but after all the time it took me to let it go and get over it, I really don’t want to bring it all back to the surface.

I used to work in a governor’s office. I could get one, maybe two, tell-all pages. The rest would be a lot of padding (“And then there was that office pot luck where we forgot to bring eating utensils”).

Oh, you.

Sodomy for opiates may seem like old hat to you but a good story teller can make it interesting to the general public.

Eh, the shenanigans of a community college aren’t really that interesting. It’s pretty banal and venal backstabbing unethical office politics, that most people have experienced in various forms throughout their careers. A four-year institution, with the tenure stuff? Maybe, and there’s a funny book called Moo by Jane Smiley that’s a relatively good send-up of four-year institutional politics.

Other than the consulting industry is somewhat prone to coming up with things to bill clients for that the clients didn’t really ask for or need, no, I don’t have any real tell-all knowledge.

If anything, it’s that most of the companies I’ve worked for were shockingly and reasurringly on the up-and-up and serious about staying that way. The corporate cultures were such that they didn’t tolerate anything shady, and that was nice.