Crêpes: Your best recipes

I’m planning to have a pancake party soon, and I would like to collect some recipes. I’m interested in combinations of toppings, new batter recipes, and ways to use the pancake as a generic wrapper as part of other dishes. And I’m particularly interested in something making use of chili.

Admittedly there was a pancake thread recently; two, in fact. But they were more about fishing stories and less about recipes, and furthermore I believe the American pancake is rather different from the European kind. For the purposes of this thread a pancake is a crêpes, the light, thin version made from a batter of (usually) eggs, flour and milk.

To start off, I will offer my own batter tip. To the mixture, add teaspoon or two of finely ground coriander (aka cilantro) seeds. Works equally well with non-sweet pancakes (eg., cheese pancakes) as with desserts (eg., ice cream).

I’ll shoot. The Hungarian crepe (palacsinta) usually incorporates a bit of soda water in the batter. This helps fluff it up a bit. It’s a little bit thicker than a French crepe, but not by much. Here’s the basic batter recipe:

200 g flour (about 1 2/3 cup)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tsp sugar (optional)
Scant 1/2 cup soda water (100 mL)

Mix the first four ingredients together, then add enough water to give it the right creamy consistency. “Right” is a matter of feel, but that amount should give you a ballpark idea.

Now, as for fillings. So many to choose from. Here’s one I mentioned from the other thread: Dill-Farmer’s Cheese Crepes

1 cup farmers or ricotta cheese
2 eggs, separated
3 Tablespoons sugar
Fresh dill
Crepes
Sour cream

Bet egg whites until stiff. Combine egg yolks with sugar, and add to cheese. Finely chop the dill (be generous with the dill) and add to the cheese mixture. Fold eggwhites into cheese mixture. Spoon this into the crepes, roll them up, and serve with a dollop of sour cream. They can be served as a main course or as a savory dessert.

Other ideas include rolled crepes stuffed with ham & cheese, dipped in flour, egg yolk, and breadcrumbs, and fried in oil. (Yummy and crunchy!)

Layered crepes are delicious, too. Stack them up with different fillings between layers, and then slice & serve as you would a cake. Typical fillings are walnuts, chocolate, farmer’s cheese, and marmelade.

Poppyseed crepes are quite delicious too. As well as Hortobagyi palacsinta, which is stuffed with chicken, pork, or veal and served with a paprikash-type sauce. Excellent main course. If you want recipes for any of these, I can post 'em.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I’ve heard of the soda water trick. Thanks for reminding me.

Wonderful – exactly the kind of thing I need.

By “dipped” I assume the flour, egg yolk and breadcrumbs are mixed into a batter into which you dip the crepes; and would not the crepes need to be folded rather than rolled, in order to seal the contents when frying?

Layered crepes are delicious, too. Stack them up with different fillings between layers, and then slice & serve as you would a cake. Typical fillings are walnuts, chocolate, farmer’s cheese, and marmelade.

I would love to hear about both. Thanks!

By “dipped” I mean the standard pan-frying procedure of dipping your food into flour, then into a mixture of beaten egg, and then into bread crumbs. You do this with fried chicken, pork chops, wiener schnitzel, etc…

And you’re right, it’s folded. I just said rolled because I fold the ends in and roll it, but folded is a more accurate description of what’s going on. You want to keep all your ingredients in.

Poppyseed crepes (Makos palacsinta)

3/4 cup ground poppy seeds
2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar (NOT powdered sugar, but finely ground crystallized sugar. You can use regular sugar as well)
1-2 Tablespoons vanilla sugar
scant half-cup hot milk (100 mL)
2 Tablespoons raisins (optional)
8-10 sweet crepes

If you don’t have vanilla sugar, you can add vanilla extract to the milk.

Combine poppy seeds and sugars. Add hot milk & stir. Add raisins. Spread over pancakes and roll or fold into quarters.

Hortobagyi palacsinta

Aw, man, these are sooooo good.

8 crepes, made without sugar
1 pound cooked chicken breast (or even thigh), or veal, or even pork
1 small onion
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika (please use Hungarian or Spanish paprika.)
salt
1 green pepper
2 cups sour cream

For the meat, use any sort of cooked meat you got on hand. Shredded chicken from stock-making works fine. Or cook up some meat especially for this. You want something soft and shredded, like stewed pork or veal. I suppose you can use ground chicken or pork if you wish.

Dice the onion and fry it in the oil until translucent.

Dice, shred, or pass the meat through a grinder. Put this aside. If you got some meat juices, combine these (a tablespoon or so) with the sour cream and paprika, add it to your pan with the onion, and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add this mixture to the meat until you achieve something with a spreadable consistency. Spread this on the crepes, fold and roll, and put it into a baking dish. Place in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve with the rest of the sour cream mixture dolloped on top, and garnish with the green pepper.