Cricket - World T20 2016

Oh surely, no way India are going to go far playing like that. England won a good game today , lower order got good batting practice for upcoming games.
Btw what a great catch by Soumya Sarkar today as well! Hard to call which one was better - this one or the one vs Pak.

Big game for England today - WI vs SA. We could really, really do with WI winning this one, because that would mean, as Dead Cat pointed out earlier in the thread, that England need only to beat Sri Lanka to get through without worrying about our poor NRR.

SA currently 106/6 with just over 3 overs to go. WI will be pretty happy with this so far, I think, but if SA can boost themselves up to 150ish they’ll be thinking they can defend it.

SA drag themselves up to 122. Not enough, I feel, but some low totals have been defended so far this tournament.

They actually should have successfully defended. WI got a bit lucky that last couple of overs.

England vs Sri Lanka this afternoon, with England looking to qualify with a win. They got to 171 in their 20, and Sri Lanka struggled in the first few overs, sinking to 17/4. A good partnership has brought them back into it though, and it’s now 95/5 - they need 11 an over for the last 7 overs. Tough, but doable!

England through. Fast bowling looks impressive. Probably the best of all teams. Spinners not so much, at least not today. Should be a great semifinal with the team that has been the strongest IMO (New Zealand).

Do or die for Aussie and India tonight, personally I hope India go through.

Kholi made that look easy, and India chase them down with nearly an over to spare. There’s still one game to go - Sri Lanka vs South Africa - but it can’t affect the standings at all. So we now know what the semi finals will be:

New Zealand vs England
West Indies vs India.

WI struggled against Afghanistan this morning, although they were not full strength. It’s anybody’s tournament from here, but if I had money I’d bet on NZ beating the WI in the final.

The Guardian’s over by over for the India game is hilarious. Great to see Afghanistan getting a win.

I’ve no idea how the semis will go.

I would be surprised if the Windies beat India. NZ vs. England is anyone’s game. I’m Indian, but if it’s India vs. NZ in the finals, I’m supporting NZ. High time they won a big tournament.

Hahah. Guardian OBO’s are good, but I wasn’t following them this time around. So thanks for reminding me, I was chuckling out loud when I read this bit

Fair-weather fans, only post when team reaches semis. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was traveling intercity entire day yesterday. Missed two great matches. Heard all Afghan players clicked selfies with Gayle one by one!

Haha. I am not in fact a fan of T20 (or 50 over) cricket. I was aware of what’s going on because Cricinfo, but I only watched India-Pakistan (obviously) and the last four overs of the India-Australia game. Fantastic overs they were though.

Don’t play cross-batted on this pitch.

Stokes no luck.

2 wickets off 2 full tosses now for Stokes. Lol.

Wow. What batting! Can Roy score a century here?

NZ played so well till nowand now suddenly one bad match n they are close out being out .

NZ limited to 153, England currently bossing that total. Well, Jason Roy bossing that total - he’s just gone for 78 off 43 balls, and surely that’s enough of a start that the rest of the team can’t screw it up now. 44 runs needed, off 47 balls, 8 wickets left.

Blimey. One of the blokes that is on our cricket watchers’ email list described the target NZ set England as Schrodinger’s Target - either very achievable or very fuckupable. Open the box and, yes, it was very achievable. Helps loads when one of your openers goes off like Jason Roy did. I suspect a 2017 IPL contract is in the offing.

A good word for Stokes and Jordan though - the last 5 overs with the ball shared between the two of them really limited NZ’s total and meant that, in the end, this was relatively straightforward, even after Roy had gone. With Root and Buttler as the finishers, England never looked like losing once it was clear that they were just going to take the singles and avoid getting out.

The last 4 overs of the NZ innings, as bowled by Jordan and Stokes, went for 3, 5, 9 and 3. The final over of a 20/20 game going to 3 runs is almost unheard of.

Quite. Jordan also bowled 12 dots in his 4 overs too.

They’re going to need to bowl well again on Sunday. Whether it is Gayle or Kohli, they’re going to be facing someone very dangerous. Thankfully, here, they got Guptill early. A repeat performance with the danger man they’re facing on Sunday would be ideal.