Damn it damn it (charity-related)

So my friend J. is getting married tomorrow (Sunday), and as part of the wedding-related events, he and his lovely fiancee are organizing a group trip to go do Habitat for Humanity today (Saturday). Now, this is a very very classy gesture, and something more people-getting-married should do. But…

-HfH starts at 8:15 a.m. (or at least, that’s when you have to gather to catch the bus to get there)
-You catch the bus in frickin’ Daly City, which is like 45 minutes from here
-I normally wake up on a WEEKDAY at 8:25 a.m.
-It’s now 3:35 a.m. and I can’t sleep and it’s raining
-I’m pretty much exhausted in an overall sense, still recovering from crunch time at work and many weeks in a row of being busy doing things

Grrrrr
I pit:
-Myself, for the fact that I’m probably going to flake out on this
-Insomnia, which deserves to be pitted pretty much without limit
-The HfH people, for not setting it up so that well-meaning but non-early-rising people can show up at lunch and work a half day (or what have you)
-Insomnia, just because
-Myself again, for good measure
-J and his fiancee, for being so darn upstanding and righteous
RRrrrrargh!

(On the plus side of the karmic balance sheet, part of what I’ve been so busy with lately was my birthday party/game/fundraising event, last weekend, which I put a lot of time and money into organizing, which raised over $400 for the ASPCA… so I figure if I suck up to the right powers that be, maybe I can weasel into, at worst, purgatory…)

You should try to force yourself to go even though you haven’t had much sleep. You may get energized just by getting swept up in the gazillion activites involved in building a house. If you really can’t hack it, you can slink off somewhere and take a nap. Do it, dude…you’ll regret it if you don’t.

I fight insomnia, too, only mine gets me out of bed at the crack of dawn. You’ve got my sympathies.

*Do * do the work for Habitat for Humanity, though. I agree with Kalhoun. It will energize you and you can rest if you need to. No one will think less of you and I know I’m not the only one who thinks more of you for doing this.

Let us know how it went and congratulations to your friends. It’s nice to know there are people like them in the world and I will be filing this idea away for future reference.

CJ

Erm, maybe people shouldn’t be encouraging the physically exhausted guy to go work on a construction site?

Not to mention, driving 45 minutes each way in the rain?

4:40, still awake :frowning:

Nah…there’s plenty to do that wouldn’t involve anything dangerous. He could organize stuff, do clipboard stuff, feed the workerbees, sweep, wash windows, etc. He doesn’t have to be the half-there guy with the nail gun. :eek:

I wouldn’t want to be around a bride with a nail gun, either …

Max, if you skip it you have to promise that your next birthday party/event will be a HfH thing. That would help keep karma at bay.

I just want to say I find this extremely cool. I predict nothing but good tidings for their married life.

Just an aside, Kalhoun, since we are in the Pit, I have no problem with you, but you do this “quote the entirety of a long original post and reply with a couple lines” thing a lot. For the love of Jebus Crust, man, knock it off.

Holy shit. You don’t WAKE UP until 8:25AM on weekdays?!?! You must live a pretty charmed life.

Where do you work???

People do shit alot harder than HfH on little to no sleep all the time. It sucks but you do what you have to do. Having to be somewhere at 815 in the morning is nothing to bitch about.

Don’t be a pansy and just get up and go do what you already committed yourself to doing.

I am very much not a morning person, so I can sympathize with you on this. I probably wouldn’t have gone either.
Maybe as part of your wedding gift to them you can make a donation in their name to HfH to make up for not being able to participate.

Way to be judgemental. Some of us have different schedules - doesn’t make us lazy. I, for instance, normally go into work between 1:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon - and normally come home between 1:00 and 4:00 in the morning.

So, Max, what happened?

mischievous

Although it has been a while since we’ve had a good “x-ray of skull with nail through it nail gun mishap” picture in the paper.

I have the perfect solution. Don’t get up at all, and let a homeless smelly drunk into your bed. He’s warm, dry and comfy, you’re warm, dry and comfy, and no-one has get up early and actually do anything. In your face, karma! {Hey, stop hogging the blankets - and quit drinking my eye medicine. Eww, did you just fart? And no singing!}

Well, I ended up falling asleep around 6:30 a.m, and I’m soothing my conscience by making a monetary donation to HfH as lavenderviolet suggested (which I was going to do anyhow).

Oh, and in the video game industry, working hours of 9:30 to >6:30 is quite standard… and as I live very close to work, waking up at 8:20 gives me plenty of time to have breakfast, shower, and get to work on time.

Plus, you can really pick up at those events. ESPECIALLY if they involve bridesmaids. EVeryone knows it’s part of their wedding-related duties to be complete floozies! :wink:

But seriously, I used to be homes in Maine (H.O.M.E.) during spring breaks and such, and man, it was a buffet of dates for all.

On a completely unrelated note, that J. actually is getting married boggles my mind.

It sure as hell would be for me. I wouldn’t even agree to do it. Hell, anyone who knows me wouldn’t even bother asking me. I went to work at 1 pm today and got home a little after midnight. That’s normal for me.

And if you dip out there, there’s probably a gibbering woman with 37 cats in a shopping trolley who’d be glad of a warm bed.

I can do 8:15 a.m., but I don’t have to like it. I’m self-employed, so I work the hours when I’m most efficient and least interrupted. Which for me involves working fairly late hours, after the phone stops ringing and even the dogs have gone to sleep for the night.

The whole world doesn’t get up early. However, I wish more people would think of doing something like this HoH event for their wedding – it’s sure a nice change from the ME ME ME! attitude you see at so many weddings.