Damn it PETA, quit messing with Mario.

So in the new game Super Mario 3D Land, Mario touches a magic leaf and acquires a Tanooki Suit. Apparently, “Mario is sending the message that it’s OK to wear fur.” I am obviously appalled at the skinning of live animals, but PETA’s barking up the wrong tree.

Nintendo’s response:
*“Mario often takes the appearance of certain animals and objects in his games,” a spokesperson told Eurogamer.

"These have included a frog, a penguin, a balloon and even a metallic version of himself. These lighthearted and whimsical transformations give Mario different abilities and make his games fun to play.

“The different forms that Mario takes make no statement beyond the games themselves.” *

Don’t mess with Mario, I know I’m giving PETA attention, which is exactly what they want; It’s just that Mario’s a childhood hero of mine! If you mess with Mario, you mess with me.

Fuck 'em, they’re 23 years too late. Mario was already grabbing leaves that gave him a Tanooki Suit back in Super Mario Bros 3. Hell, I think tanuki was the first Japanese word I ever consciously encountered.

This makes me feel very old for no good reason.

PETA’s just showing their mammal-centric tendencies. They haven’t said a word about Mario’s ongoing brutal genocide against the Testudines.

A leaf, you say? How blatantly anti-plantist!

I can’t believe Nintendo bothered to respond. They should have rolled their eyes and chuckled.

Doesn’t PETA have better things to do than criticize cartoon characters in video games? Oh wait, never mind.

PETA still matters?

PETA ever mattered?

Good point.

Haven’t they jumped the shark fin soup already?

I saw the video below, I don’t want to associate that with my Mario games.

It’s just… way to shit on Mario for me!

That and jumping’s a bitch in their flash game. In the 3 times I bothered, I didn’t reached Mario.

Yeah, but look at the career arc he’s on. Mario used to spend five or ten minutes just to take out one gorilla. Now he’s running roughshod through whole packs of critters. When a serial killer escalates like that, it’s bound to draw the attention of the authorities.

So Mario brought furries into the mainstream?

Wow… The controls on that thing are shit.
What I really have to wonder is, did Metroid get this kind of flac? I mean, fuck, Samus mowed down entire species.

I’m a Luigi gal myself.

23 years? No way.

Oh dear God, you’re right.

I know. We’re old. :frowning:

What’s their take on Super Meat Boy?

They unsurprisingly don’t like it, so they created Super Tofu Boy. No, seriously