Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla

I was gonna go get a haircut after work tomorrow. Not any more. Hel-lo, Barnes & Noble.

Just bought it a few hours ago.

Am not posting any more in this thread right now so that I might go read it.

Woo Hoo! My daughter was able to pick it up at the -library- for me! I can’t believe it–can’t afford to make the purchase right now, but will in a few weeks, but now in the mean time I get to read it. I am really psyched, especially since I’ve been re-reading the other books in anticipation. Will be back with observations after I’ve read it. :slight_smile:

King’s contribution to McSweeney’s Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales was also a chapter from the book – I don’t have my copy anymore, but it’s the chapter where Roland visits the farm and learns a bit about weapons from the wife who lives there.

I appreciate the spoiler (above) because I hadn’t intended on buying the revised Gunslinger. So, cool! :slight_smile: That’s good to know. Kind of a surprise though.

bought it tuesday…finished it today.
You people are in for ONE HELL OF A SHOCK! :smiley:

I don’t know why, but the above spoiler angers me a bit. I was always under the impression that the second line of it was definately -not- the case, and I spent many a night trying to figure out the exact relationship there, and why it would / wouldn’t work. To solve it like that seems… Cheating, somehow.

It’s been so long since I read the first four books, so could someone please jog my memory and tell me:Who is Nineteen?

Also, I would like to join those complaining about the dye on the book’s inner covers rubbing off on my hands. I had to use bleach to get the stuff off! Then, I got some Christmas wrapping paper out of the hall closet and made a book cover like we used to in school.

Glad to know it turned everybody else’s hands black too.

Oy is sooo toast. There was even some nasty little throwaway lines somewhere in this one, I believe, about it.

I enjoyed the book, but if a woman had written all the pregnancy bits I think it would have been really great, instead of pretty good mostly because it’s about people I really already care about. Not that men can’t write about women’s issues, and not that King hasn’t gotten a lot better at writing adult women, but.

But what?

Just bought it today. Started reading around three or so. Now on page 195. I’m hoping I can finish it by tomorrow before I go to see Matrix Revolutions.

I just love this series so much when i start reading one of the books I literally cannot put it down until I’m done. If we’re using this thread for discussion as well I’ll be back :wink:

WHAT THE FRICK?!?!

Am I the only one who’s book skips from page 236 to page 269? Then it goes straight to 300 then starts at 269 again?!?! :mad:

Have to go to the bookstore tomorrow to exchange it I guess :rolleyes: :frowning:

Bought it Saturday afternoon, sat right down and read it all in one 8-hour sitting. Ahhh! Now that’s what I call a good weekend.

I just finished it last night. I hated the last few pages where…

Callaghan finds out he is a SK character. What’s up with that? Is King trying to transpose himself into his own story? I’m sorry, but that’s just cheesy…

I did like Mia taking her baby through the door though. A nice touch, and I can’t help but wonder what New York would be like with a demon child running amok.

Midnight, Nineteen isn’t a character. Read any of the new introductions to the first four books, and King explains his “fascination” with the number 19.

Spoilers for the new version of DT:I:

19 is what Marten writes on the piece of paper to Allie, which is the answer to all of life’s questions, apparently. If you browse through a copy of the new The Gunslinger at the bookstore, in the beginning scan for a handwritten note - that’s the note that Marten gives to Allie.

Well, I got mine last night… my pages don’t have the problem pure found, and I’ve got a Bro-Dart on the dust jacket, to hopefully prevent my fingers from blackening. I just started reading it, but noticed an odd thing nobody’s mentioned yet…

I know I’m a font geek, but I also know that I’m not the only one. Does anyone else think it odd that they used a Harry Potter font for the Table of Contents and for the title pages of each Part of the book? It’s such a distinctive typeface, and so associated with Mr. Potter… I wonder why they chose to use it.

Speaking of Potter, that reminds me of something in this book I wanted to point out to my daughter. Interesting…

Avalonian, I noticed the exact same thing last week. I wasn’t sure it was a distinctly Harry Potter font, but now that you’ve confirmed it, I will voice my vote in the column of “man, that’s really odd”.

Anonymous Coward, I think (and hope) that

[spoiler]King is just putting himself in as a bit of a throwaway minor plot point, maybe to show that our world exists as one of the parallel worlds. Maybe he’ll have a chapter with himself as one of the breakers, saying that all his stories are really just him listening in on the other worlds.

The other possibility is that he’s putting himself at the top of the tower, or that he’s the Crimson King or something. That strikes me as a ridiculous way of ending things, but like I said I don’t think he’s going that way.[/spoiler]

I don’t think it’s a big deal. Someone in Thinner mentions that the situation reminds him of a King story, and there may be other self-references I’m not thinking of. 'Course, that was written by Bachman.

For those who aren’t sure, the Harry Potter font I’m talking about is actually available for use to anyone, and it’s called Lumos. This is a pretty good copy of the font used extensively in all of the Harry Potter books: in the Table of Contents, in each chapter title, at the top of each page, and along the spine of the book itself.

Judge for yourself. Looks the same as the one in DT5, to me. Weird.