DC-Area Dopefest?

As discussed here, Doper @penultima_thule will be passing through our area - from June 30 to July 3.

Any interest in any kind of get-together? If so, speak up (and suggest places etc.). @penultima_thule can weigh in on scheduling preferences etc.

We are, sadly, leaving town the morning of the 1st, so would only be available on the 30th. However, that should not stop others from planning something on a different date.

I might be available!

Boo! My family and I are leaving DC (well just over border in Silver Spring MD) for a trip to the UK on the 20th June, won’t be back until April.

Well if I can be some sort of raison d’etre for a Dopefest, what higher act of community could I aspire?

Current schedule is to arrive in Washington on 30th June.
Have accommodation in the city on 30/6, 1/7, 2/7 & 3/7 booked.
Have a car and GPS.
Have no local knowledge and just 30 days experience driving on the wrong side of the road.

Mebbe. I’ll probably be in town then. School’s out, so I’d be flexible.

I’ll be doing a little sightseeing around that time. Depending on what day works for the group, if that fits my itinerary I’d definitely join.

I’d suggest picking one of the days, and meeting up somewhere in the evening. Those of us out in the 'burbs can hop a Metro train into town and meet up with somewhere Metro-accessible.

@penultima_thule, roughly where will you be coming from? (to give an idea whether the Friday would even be feasible for you). Are there days where your sightseeing plans would interfere with an evening gathering?

@Mama_Zappa
Coming in from Appomattox, presumably along I95.
Will thunk out the actual route a bit closer to DC-Day

Nope. Definitely nope.

I will be at my niece’s wedding in Ohio on July 1st.

Depending on the date I can probably attend.

Hah - I know that area somewhat - my son went to college in Farmville (a little east of there) so we’ve done the drive quite a few times.

The main alternative, if you want to avoid I-95, would be US 15. Google puts you back onto I-95 near Fredericksburg, which means traffic is still a risk; we tended to stay on US 15 further north, and approach some of the western suburbs, then get on the Beltway.

Honestly, if you’re not travelling during afternoon rush, you’re likely best just sticking with whatever the mapping software says.

Appomattox to DC? That’s a good distance. 185 miles according to the map.

I’ll be visiting DC (from San Francisco) on July 4th through the 6th or 7th. Definitely interested.

Choose any time(s) that you would be available. We can figure out WHERE, when we have more feedback on WHEN. I put times through July 3rd, as I think PT is leaving on the 4th (I could be wrong).

• Fri 6/30 Evening
  • Sat 7/1 Day
  • Sat 7/1 Evening
  • Sun 7/2 Day
  • Sun 7/2 Evening
  • Mon 7/3 Day
  • Mon 7/3 Evening

0 voters

'Course I am coming from out of town, so … :upside_down_face:

Bumping in case anyone local(ish) has missed this until now.

At the moment, Friday the 30th is the winner with 75% of 4 voters OK with that. Presumably there’s one voter who could not make it that time?

Whereas it’s the only time WE can make it (Typo Knig and me). So out of pure selfishness I’d lean that way, but we’ll see how things change up if more people vote.

I cannot make it then, but that is fine. Selfishness counts. For the recent San Francisco Dope Fest, I made sure it was in a day that I could go. Possession is 9/10ths, right?

Besides, I’m not a local and that’s yet another reason to mean that way.

Enjoy! We enjoyed ours. It was fun seeing people IRL.

Be sure to post pictures! If participants are in agreement. Here was us from last week.

How did I miss this thread before?

Awww, that week I am scheduled to be back down to my hometown grounds as part of my alternating work locations and I’m staying away through the 4th for MOMDelirious’ birthday which she shares with the nation. Have fun y’all.

Driving from Appomattox, every route alternative the apps give me winds up getting first to Fredericksburg, and then up…

(ominous music, minor)
…I-95…
(ominous music, major)

East Coasters from New England to Miami know… :crazy_face:

I missed the vote, but I can probably make the 30th. School will have been out for a week, so my mood should be good.

Try routing yourself via Manassas, VA, then into the DC proper or Northern VA. Google maps has most of the route being US 29 to US 15. It’s nowhere near (dum Dum DUMMMM!) I-95. We took that route on some trips to or from Farmville. It’s more scenic and more rural than the interstate. It’s theoretically slower, usually is slower, but not nearly as prone to massive traffic cluster effs.

US 15. then various state highways toward Centreville etc., are an alternative. Less stressful in some ways - but very out of the way for anyone going into DC itself (since we live in NoVA, less insane for us). I don’t know that this route has ever saved us time versus 95, but it’s a change of pace.

Hah - shoulda read the entire thread - the post just above mine says much the same… which makes sense, as it’s my husband!