DC-Area Dopefest?

Bumpdate:

PT has told me that he will likely be arriving on the 29th, versus the 30th, but will still be in town through the night of the 3rd. Is there any interest in moving things to the 29th?

Also, we were talking about maybe meeting up at a dim sum place in Chinatown. I haven’t been to any of them in years though; Tony Cheng’s is the only place I remember (they also have a Mongolian Barbecue setup; I think on the ground floor). Any other suggestions?

If I can get an approximate headcount, I can make a reservation somewhere.

I may be available the afternoon of the 29th, but that’s probably the only day that will work for me. I won’t know until that day, so I’ll be a maybe.

I’ll make an executive decision and suggest we all meet in front of Tony Cheng’s at 7 PM. We don’t necessarily have to EAT there, if people find they’d like something else; there are tons of restaurants within a few blocks of the place. Being a Friday, everywhere will be crowded - I don’t know how the holiday weekend will affect that: locals might be heading out to a beach somewhere, but nonlocals might be coming in to town early!

Headcount:

• Me, my husband, and likely our son “Dweezil”
  • Tru Celt may be coming
  • Penultima Thule from Australia
  • Who else?

I should be able to make it. I have an appointment early in the day, but it’ll be over way before then.

So we’re talking Friday, I missed that. I can do that as well.

Forgot to provide the address:
619 H Street NW
Washington, DC.

It’s about a half block away from the Gallery Place / Chinatown Metro stop (Yellow line). If you look at Google Maps, you can see there are loads of other choices nearby; I just suggested this one because it’s a known quantity, and as I recall the entrance is hard to miss.

Anyone else?

Reminder, it’s tomorrow evening, not tonight (else we’re gonna be very, very late!).

Not me, but you guys enjoy yourselves!

Hello from Louisville KY. We won’t make DC until 7/03 or 7/04. I landed in Little Rock on Monday and my son picked me up, and we’ve been making our way eastward as touring roadtrippers.

Share pics please!

I’ll let everyone know if wife and daughter want to come. Daughter just had her appendix out less than two weeks ago, so she may not want to make the trek downtown.

Ms. P will be coming with me, also our daughter.

Cool! Looks like we’re a group of 8 then.

I’m debating whether we should drive, or Metro. Likely Metro, given DC traffic and the parking situation. It doesn’t look like there is a parking garage all that near (2-3 blocks away, anyway).

It looks like there’s nothing going on tonight at Capital One Arena (formerly Verizon Center), which will help with finding restaurant seating.

That’s probably the last part of DC I’d drive to. We’re lucky to live a short drive from a couple of Metro stations. If the Purple Line had been finished on schedule we’d be a block from one.

As long as nothing is going on at the Convention Center it should be easier to find a restaurant with enough seating. Last year this time there was the American Library Association annual meeting, so the area was crawling with librarians.

We are arriving at Tony Chengs. PT is already there.

Fun times - I love hearing fresh perspectives on my country. I’m trying to upload the picture my son took, but the board software says it’s too many pixels. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Dopefest Washington June 2023

PT is the one without hair, three from left.
Other participants can self-identify as deemed responsible. :upside_down_face:

I’m next to PT, with lots of hair. My daughter is to my left, and Ms. P is to her left.

And going clockwise from Penultima, I and Typo Knig round out the table. Our son Dweezil was wielding the phone.

A fine looking group. Thanks for the pic!