Diary of a Wandering Thule

This could serve as a catalyst for Dopefests, anywhere on PT’s route where there is a sufficient concentration of Dopers. We’re working on one in the DC area:

C’mon, people, our Aussie friend isn’t just here to see sights! Seems like we likely have a lot of people in the NYC area who could convene, right?

Driving: In general, US drivers do not actually wish to murder you. Despite some rather terrifying incidents (we witnessed two separate highway drag racing events on the same day, on a recent trip). But they are clueless, entitled, and occasionally jerkish, and often far too unaware that there are other cars on the road. Or they get pissed at you for doing something that offends them, and drive in such a way that an accident is almost guaranteed. Defensive driving is a MUST, especially in cities / on major highways. Just assume that all the other drivers are trying to kill you, either through malice or inattention, and you’ll be fine.

And turn signals… despite all 50 states having laws requiring their use before changing lanes or actually turning, I’d say less than 50% of drivers on the road around here actually use them as required. Hell, probably less than 25%. A joking explanation is that you don’t want to let the enemy know your intentions. My husband and I snarl “What? is your car out of blinker fluid again??”.