Dear Cincinnatians:

Oh. Well that’s very different…

At least this woman doesn’t live in Cincinnati. Though perhaps if we raise enough money we can export her to you?

I miss those snow days growing up in Oklahoma. Of course I was too young to drive but I loved witnessing the other drivers when it had snowed out.

One time there was this not so bright individual and his two kids. He was doing doughnuts in the back of a mostly empty Wal-Mart parking lot lost control and hit the back tire sideways into a curb and broke his back axle. My dad had to call a tow truck and rent a truck for awhile to go to work. Fun times.

We lived on the corner of a four way stop sign intersection and one time this guy hit his brakes too hard and slide into the intersection and t-boned a lady who had stopped and just started through the intersection. The impact stopped the guy but the lady’s car slide into our neighbor’s yard. Nobody was hurt and it was an exciting day for my brother and I with all the cops and firetrucks that showed up.

We had an international transferee from Germany. One day, he came in and just exploded: “What IS it with the news media in Cincinnati? It’s snowing. Is this a huge deal? Doesn’t this happen every winter? Because the weather reporters are insane. They interrupted programming last night every half hour to report that snow was on the way and to be prepared. And this morning you’d think we had the blizzard of the century and there is literally 2 centimeters of snow on the ground!”

What’s funny here is that the SUV drivers drive even SLOWER in rain than everyone else. I assume they’re scared of getting mud of the bumper. Meanwhile me and my 1993 Corolla with a missing windows got somewhere to be!

Cincinnati? Heck, even up here in Dayton people forget what snow is. :rolleyes:

I live in fucking Idaho now and people don’t know what snow is or how to drive in it.

And I’m in the mountains. Snow is perfectly normal up here. Every winter. Lots of it. This is my first winter, so I got snow tires and drive slow (not 5 MPH, if I felt I couldn’t go faster than that I’d take a bus!). Oddly, until it started snowing, the rudest drivers were out-of-staters. Particularly the Californians. Now the Californians are driving exactly the same way, but it’s like the snow brought out the jerkiness in the Idahoan drivers as well!

An acquaintance said that she thought I could make money off signs for cars saying something like, “I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN SNOW – BACK OFF!” but personally I think that would only challenge the ones who think they can go 80 in a blinding snowstorm. During today’s semi-blinding snowstorm I stayed home. Going to work in the morning should prove interesting.

But how else will people know to go buy bread? That’s apparently just what you do when you hear it’s going to snow–you buy bread.

And beer and milk. Beer for the adults, milk for the kids. You never know when you might get snowed in for days!
(I may be in Tucson now, but I moved here last summer after almost 3 years in Youngstown. But I know about the bread, milk and beer thing because I grew up in Tennessee, where the chance of snow - or the sighting of a flake! - is like the siren call for everyone to stampede to the Bi-Lo and buy out those sections.)

If it’s Cincinnati, surely folks are out buying spaghetti to serve with their chili :dubious:

I live in Tennessee, of course.

I came from Indiana. We don’t get snow like the West there, but we get some, and rarely had any trouble with people not knowing how to deal with it.

Around here, peope mostly manage to deal with the occaisional snowfall, but all that is holy they DO freak out and run to the market to buy out anything edible. It’s uncanny; the last time any such snowfall happened was a decade ago, and even then you were only stuck if were way in the backroads. If not, you were cleaned off and ready to drive within a day.

Odd story: My senior year of high school I was getting up early and going to a 6:30 class (getting our early to compensate). I went to school, there was nothing more than a pathetically light frost on the grass. There was NOTHING on the road. I got the school, went up, and… closed. The janitor let me know, thankfully, because I was a little freaked and didn’t know if I’d somehow gotten up an hour early or whatever.

It just never occured to me that school would be out for, well, nothing. Or that anything would be out.

But not in Cleveland. Oh, no. A pissed-off ex-Clevelander wrote in to the Columbus paper bitching about how frustrated he is driving in Columbus, because everyone’s so super-cautious.

Which provoked a Columbusite to respond that conditions are different hereabouts, because it’s milder, you see, and snow melts and refreezes as ice under the snow, and it doesn’t do that in Cleveland, and so…

Just stay out of Chillicothe. Them people don’t know their ass from a stick shift.

Sheesh. While Clevelanders denigrate Chillicotheans as idiots, the whole country labels us Ohioans as ignorant rubes. Can’t we just all get along? :slight_smile:

I probably leave earlier to work than you guys and miss all the problems. My Plainfield/Montgomery/Stewart/71 route from 5:15-6:00 was certainly snow and slush-covered, but with relatively light traffic, I cruised along at about 50 when I hit the interstate.

Now, a couple evenings a year coming home (I work over in Erlanger, KY), I just say fuck 75 and 71 and loop around 275, though that sometimes bogs down as well.

Sir Rhosis

I grew up in Louisville, KY, where it snowed a good bit every winter. I learned to drive in the snow, and there had to be a LOT of snow to close the schools. In 1984, I moved to Georgia. After the shock of 70-degree days in December wore off, I was stunned to realize that any amount of snow would pretty much shut everything down. Once they closed the schools because there was a THREAT of snow. It never did snow, but everything was closed just the same.

And it cracks me up how everyone stocks up on bread, milk and toilet paper when any amount of snow is predicted.  Is there something about snow that makes people eat french toast and have diarrhiea?

This whole thread makes me chuckle. We get about 10-12 feet of snow a year or so. A foot is predicted for today. I’ll plow later. Let it build up a bit first.

But I have to remind myself that we are prepared. Snow removal up here is a big big part of the budget. And, the locals are prepared. Pretty much everyone has a 4x4 of some sort and just about everyone with a truck or larger SUV carries a tow strap to pull out the tourists.

Discussing tires strengths and weaknesses for snow is common polite conversation. I know the brand of tire of the 4 guys I work with.

The 20mph when 40 is perfectly safe does bug me. But most of those folks are tourists. In a rental car, in unfamiliar conditions looking for an odd address that is Uncle John’s house or some such thing.

We complain, but we also chill.

::sigh:: Just missing Cincinnati.
Even though they let Rumpke turn Winton Hill into a dump (literally) (took out all those beautiful trees) it’s still my favorite city.

BIL may be bringing some LaRosa’s when he visits this week. :cool:

Missing what? The only things that keep me here are friends and Jungle Jims. I’ll put up with a lot of shit for Jungle Jims. But there this place doesn’t have much to recommend it.

So, whatcha use? :wink:

Goetta. It’s the major cultural contribution of the Germans to Cincinnati. Besides fascism.