Dear God, it IS addictive!

Man, I do the exact same thing! Can’t wait to meet you. We have the same ride (which ought to be veeerry interesting).

Even though I don’t post so much, I read everything here. I took thinksnow’s advice and quit trying to explain to people why I’m going to a party in October in another state to hang with folks I’ve never met. I’ve started telling them that I already have plans and that’s that.

And I still don’t have a freakin’ costume.

Fortunately, most of my friends are accustomed to hearing strange names from me–not only do I refer to the dopers by screen name, but I also use IFGS character names often. So they just accept it when I talk about people with names like Cheffie, Zyada, 334, Lug, and Darjeeling (of the Monks Who Drink Tea).

Not caring whether or not people consider you insane helps.

Here’s one of my favorite cartoon strips about the subject:

http://www.fluppleworld.com/crap/ep70.html

Oh, they knew I was insane before I found these boards. The only problem is that the boards have brought even more of my insanity to light. It is pretty bad when I say to my IRL friends, “I am going to meet a few friends from the Straight Dope. Oh, and I have been in correspondence with quite a few.” And then they say, “You better be careful” or “All those people are insane. What if they kidnap you?” Oh, and “Why don’t you go out and meet real people. Like at a club or bar?” I just tell them that you are as sane as I am (doesn’t say much :slight_smile: ). And I hate clubs and bars. Bleh. Plus, if someone picked up on me there, it would be the same as here. They could kidnap me just as easily. I just have more trust with you guys (maybe I shouldn’t though…)

Oh, and I have sited this board, but after a while there is no point. I just say that a friend or someone said blah, blah, blah.

Anywho, yes, this board is addictive, but it will wear off. But not enough. I am glad you are in for the long haul, though, DarkWriter.

Isn’t this just a variation of internet addiction?

Entering my thirteenth year of explaining “some friends online”…

My general catch-all for internet friends has been “friends from college” - since a majority of them were made while I was in college, it’s not TECHNICALLY untrue. :smiley:

Who am I visiting in Chicago this weekend? Friends from college. Who was mistaken for a Klansman when dressed in Templar garb? Friend from college. If every story gets prefaced in that way, then I never need to worry about keeping things straight.

I don’t mind being thought of as insane. It’s pretty usual for me.

I’m the only mom in my neighborhood who reads and writes horror, has tattoos and is outspokenly atheist. I LIKE being different.

This is such a cool place. Even the thread titles are titillating. I can tell I will be wasting a lot of time here. My writing will fall by the wayside. So who wants to be famous anyway? This way, I’ll avoid stalkers. :smiley:

Sheri

You have a boyfriend and a husband? :eek:

I have to admit I’m upset that it took me so long to find this board, especially since I’ve been reading the Straight Dope for years. It makes feel insignificant when I see people who’ve been here for years and have thousands of posts. Makes me wanna find ways to rack my post count up (hmm).

Shut the door already! You’re letting in light! And ugh fresh air! Friggin’ newbies. Let me decompose here in peace.

I just say, “On my messageboard, this guy said…” unless I know that they’re not of the male persuasion. Otherwise, you’re all just guys.

I hope this doesn’t put me in the pit… although it’d be pretty a stupid reason to put me there…

This place and the IMDB were bad enough, but now I’m getting hooked on Snopes!
“My name is Dr. Rieux, and I’m a cine-snopa-dopaholic.”

FABULOUS advice! No one told me that…

So I was telling my mom that I was going to be a taking a trip to LA. (This was about a month ago.) Of course, being a mom, she was curious.

“So… Why are you going to LA?”

“For a Dopefest.”

:disappointed look on her face: “I thought you gave that up, Sarah…”

“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!”

A few months ago, I was talking about Cecil.

My dad - “So, when do I get to meet this guy?”

“Ummm… Dad?” ROFL

They’ve come to accept me and my addiction though. My mom’s actually sat over my shoulder, reading the boards while I post or following along in chat. Same with my dad, who’s helped me with trivia more than a few times.

Now I have to explain to them that lno isn’t some creepy stalker murdering type who’s plan is to kill me on our way to Chicago this weekend.

:shrugs:

Welcome to all you happy, shiny newbies!

I think it has something to do with those other people that live in my house. One of them swears he’s my husband, but I’m sorry, he just doesn’t look familiar. He also says that the short ones are our–OUR–children. Riiiiiight, mister. I know where babies come from. I’d remember something like that. :eek:

This thread is a shining example of why I love you guys sooooo much.

I’ve been a Dopea-Snopa-holic for quite some time but relatively new to the boards.

All this time I thought is was just me…the inability to accurately describe you people and the forums (fora?) is still a mystery to me. The look I get from “real” people when I try to tell them about a thread, a poster, Cecil, etc. is consistent…a classic “huh?”

“Friends of mine.” Nobody usually delves too deeply. “This club I belong to.” “My invisible friends.”

Prepare to be ass-laminated!

Yeah, drop’s got it…, “guy I was talkin’ to last night said…” or, “a friend of mine in Chicago told me…” So, when you have to refer to us just act like we’re real people.

Eventually we become such.

And I’ve finally made way with some of my IRL (should that be IRL-only?) acquaintance such that they recognize I’m tradin’ in e-people.

"Well, I read, uh… heard from… uh… this… uh… guy I know [sub]yeah, that’s the ticket[/sub], that (insert trivia here).

Besides, it’s not like I read Slashdot. :rolleyes:

Eh, that’s what Teemings is for. Just don’t submit your stories about testicle stealing aliens. People start looking at you funny.