death of napster

Where can we go now to download music if napster really is dead?

Go to [link deleted] for alternative file-sharing programs.

[Edited by Chronos on 02-26-2001 at 12:29 AM]

[name of program deleted] i think is a strong contender to take over where napster leaves off. but not sure about the spelling of it

[Edited by Chronos on 02-26-2001 at 12:30 AM]

[name deleted again] is how you spell it

[Edited by Chronos on 02-26-2001 at 12:31 AM]

Name a thread topic that will be likely to result in the thread being closed…

Use [link removed]. It is a program that allows you to log onto private servers as well as Napsters own servers.

[Edited by Chronos on 02-26-2001 at 12:32 AM]

The [deleted] servers have already been served cease-and-desist orders, I wouldn’t expect them to be around much longer.

[Edited by Chronos on 02-26-2001 at 12:33 AM]

That’s just it. The servers [deleted] points to aren’t owned by [deleted] OR Napster. There’s very little that they can do. If they shut down one [deleted] server, someone will simply start another one up. The software will still function. Also…where did you hear the cease and desist order…a cite please? I do think that the [deleted] servers will be around for at least a few months following the shutdown of Napster, perhaps even longer. Eventually, people will go to a true P2P solution like [deleted], but they really need to improve the connections through that. I’ve been able to find songs, but never been able to DL faster than ~2K/sec, which is pretty bad considering I get between 40-100K/sec with Napster.

Jman

[Edited by Chronos on 02-26-2001 at 12:34 AM]

I couldn’t find any info regarding [deleted] receiving cease and desist orders? Linkety, link, lincoln logs?

[Edited by Chronos on 02-26-2001 at 12:35 AM]

Dang, I wish I had gotten to this thread earlier… It would have made things a lot tidier.

Bottom line: The Chicago Reader does not advocate or assist in the breaking of any laws. Being a newspaper, and dependent on the copyright laws for its very existence, the Reader especially does not assist in the breaking of copyright laws. Please do not ask about this here.