Delusions of grandeur?

Oh, come on. Go to Chicago, already! It’s this Sunday.

Here’s the link: http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002383.html

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Okay, well, after a little research, here are some times NOT to be in Vegas at the Convention Center:

2/27-3/2/00: Surplus Dealers, 32,000 people attending

4/10-4/13/00: Nat’l Assn of Broadcasters, 115K attendees

5/8-5/12/00: Networld+Interop, 75K

6/28-6/30/00: Trucking Show, 32K

8/8-8/11/00: Western Shoe Assn, 30K

8/20-8/24/00: More Surplus Dealers, 51K

8/29-8/31/00: MAGIC Int’l, 90K

So most other times appear reasonable. There are quite a lot of family reunions booked at the convention center, so how expensive can it be? (Next thing I will find out).

ChrisCTP, I read that thread the first time, but apparently not too carefully. So yes, you have deja vu (deja lu?).

Also, Spring COMDEX, Apr. 17-20. About 50 MM attendees.

You think thats bad? I live in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. I gotta drive at least 500 miles just to get out of the state and then I’m only in Georgia! You always hear about other people driving to adjoining states for get-togethers and such. That’s not so quick and easy for us South Floridians, its almost like living on an island.

Hey, just organize one at Disney World or Universal. All the straight-dopers might just make the trek down to Florida if you give 'em a good enough reason. Then you won’t have very far to drive from Tampa.

I’d go if I could, but I would choose a place centally located. Vegas, for us East Coasters, would be a hike… Maybe St. Louis? That city seems to have a strong population of Dopers already there, plus it’s pretty damn close to the middle of the country… Plus it’s a major airline hub which correlates into cheap(er) flights for most people.

Yer pal,
Satan

Memphis, Tn.

We could rent a hall in the Memphis Pyramid.
I believe it has a museum in it as well; that would suit this crowd fine.

For the pub crawlers, Memphis has a great many jazz clubs.

Low costs here; much lower than Vegas.

Is an appreciation of beauty a function of the human soul?

oh, please…you can get rooms in Vegas as low as $19 a night, sometimes free with a plane package. Can you do better then that?