Delusions of grandeur?

I notice that the regional meetings threads grow daily, and I’m jealous…I want to meet everybody! I mean, here in Tampa, it’s me and michelle, not that she’s chopped liver or anything…

I envision: The Straig–ack! No! Sorry, sorry–The Teeming Millions National Convention 2000!

All we really need is a central location, a hall, booze, name tags, of course…and everybody to show up!

So tell me, is this a pipe dream? What do you think?

Im up here all alone in Edmonton… and although I’ve had two dopers visit me, I havent met any from here. I say a big meeting is a great idea!!

I am me… accept it or not.

Super idea, since I don’t think there’s going to be a Canadian meeting anytime soon! :wink:

Why should I care about posterity? What’s posterity ever done for me?

• Groucho Marx

You’re right, how short-sighted of me, make that The Teeming Millions INTERNATIONAL Convention 2000!

May I suggest the Twin Cities as the convention site? We’re smack dab in the middle of the North American continent (she says with authority, but actually isn’t sure) and we have an International airport!

Just don’t schedule it for July 2000. Alcoholics Anonymous is having their own international convention here then.

::duh::

What am I thinking? I’m sure an overwhelming majority of the teeming millions will be here for the AA one… might as well tack the TMIntCon2000 on to either the beginning or the end!

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto.

I’ll come, let’s just move it to the last week of May, when I’m supposed to be going back to the States to visit the in-laws. I’m sure the Husband would be very understanding of me jetting off to see a bunch of people I’ve never met, instead of going to his brother’s graduation. :slight_smile:

Why isn’t anyone else reading this? I’ve seen others do this, so…

Up to the top, please.

Come to Dallas! You can all stay at my place. :wink:

Will work for sig line.

Do you really want to meet all these people face to face? There’s a weird realization that NOONE will be as you envisioned. It’ll be awkward.

It’ll require a lot of alcohol.

Not that I’m afraid of committment, but I don’t want to ruin our friendship. It’s not you, it’s me. Let’s just be friends. I’m busy on Friday and Saturday, anyway.

Vegas.

Cheap and frequent flights from almost anywhere in the country.
Cheap and expensive hotel rooms, so everybody can stay within budget.
Unbelievably cheap food.
Booze. Free, if you’re gambling.
Meeting rooms out the wazoo.
Nice weather. Guaranteed.
When? Well, we would want to try not to conflict with any of the bigger conventions like COMDEX, when room rates go up. Wanna do the research, eden?

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Vegas sounds great to me. I think we need to drag Rysdad in here. He posted something a couple days ago about being a travel agent. Maybe he could help us book a block of rooms.

On a side note, maybe this topic should be re-started with a different title. I’m not sure how many people are gonna wander in here.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

UncleBeer: Yup, mea culpa, I’ve already realized the error of my titling ways.

And yes, I’ll do some research and get back with times/places.

Vegas sounds great!!

I am me… accept it or not.

Vegas: Tacky, bright and cheap. I’m all for it.

Vegas, baby! Yeah!

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Im up here all alone except for CanadianSue who is 3 hours away. (Ill be sure to icq ya next time im heading up there Sue). Id like to vote for Calgary for the meeting but Im afraid that is probably not very Central to most people!! A big meeting is a great idea though!!

–Donj

I guess suggesting that we meet in my home town of Shattuck, OK would be rediculous? Hey, my brother has a bar there. Lots of fun, population 1,200. Four hours from the nearest airport. But hey, beers are only $1.25. And if you wanted to, we could go cow tipping.

Enright3

Hello? I could have SWORE I initiated discussions about this very thing about a month ago or so…complete with a number of votes for Las Vegas as the ideal location.

Hell, maybe I’m just experiencing deja vu…either way, as long as I can plan far enough in advance that I don’t have to fly, I’m all about it.

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Thanks for joggin the ole brainpan Chris. I found your thread and here it is.
http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001773.html

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

“I apologize again, sir. The Welcome Dope Addicts banner was supposed to go to the west banquet room.”

Not that I’m ever here enought anymore for anyone to remember me (::sniff: :), but that would be so fun!!! I couldn’t/didn’t (is it over) make it to the one in Chicago even though Chi-town is only 3 hours away.